02 SC1 starting problem

I just bought a 2002 SC1 with 5 speed and only 28k miles. Pretty happy with the car, the only problem is that ocassionally I have trouble starting it when the engine is cold. All I get is a click. That happens 4-5 times, and then it finally starts. It doesn't happen all the time. I took it to the dealer, they checked out my whole charging system, starter and alternator checked out perfect, battery is 90% as good as new. They suspect the solenoid was wet. Car was only driven a thousand miles since June 2004. It came back from a lease and sat at a dealer's lot for a long time before they found a sucker (hmm, me that is). We've had a period of very odd weather up here in central Canada in December, one day it would be

+10, next day -15 and so forth for a two week period. Could this have caused the moisture buildup and thus cause starting problems? Has anyone else experienced this before?
Reply to
Gif J. Peg

I would get a voltage tester, and check your battery voltage before, and during the cranking. I have a feeling you have a battery that 1. is undercharged or 2. isn't pushing enough amps to hold voltage.

That's why the relay is chattering.

check it out,

hth,

tom @