02 SL1 auto shifting question

I have question that my Saurn dealer was unable to answer (amazing huh ?). It's an 02 SL1 automatic. We have D, 2, 1. Now i understand that D allows shifting into higher gears, whereas 1 & 2 limit the gear shifts to lower gears, going up or down hills, higher revs lessing the strain on the engine. I have a few very steep short hills I sometimes go to. Always at the bottom I stop the car and shift from D to 1 to go up. I am wondering, do I have to stop ? can I just shift the car while in D to 1 or 2? The reason is that sometimes there's an SUV or more powerful vehicle behind me and I don't like having to stop on this narrow road just to change gears.

Thanks in Advance

Reply to
raamman

Depending on the transmission and other variables I could tell you yes or no. In L1 or L2 some transmissions will apply bands which are slow to release which can drag and wear when you try manually shifting. Taats are an odd design however. Why dont you let your car do your shifting for you? Need more revs? Give it more throttle and if need be it will downshift. They dont call it an automatic for nothing. You should stick it in OverDrive, thats the O around a D, and leave it there.

Here's a little insight from the GM manual on the 02 TAAT transmissions:

---------------- Uphill Feature

While traveling up certain grade hills, the transaxle will not upshift to a higher gear if that gear cannot maintain speed on the grade. Even if a driver completely lifts off the throttle, the transaxle will not upshift thus preventing unnecessary shifting. After reaching the top of the hill, the normal gear shift schedule will resume operation.

Downhill Feature

If traveling down steep grades, the PCM may automatically select a lower gear. This system assists engine braking, reduces transaxle shifting, and reduces braking required while going down a hill.

Traction Control

Under certain slip conditions, the PCM may perform an upshift to help reduce slip.

Reply to
BläBlä

I don't have overdrive. The reason I want to keep it in low gear is to reduce strain on the engine while climbing, I see it similar to riding uphill on a bike; in low gear it is easier, but put it in a higher gear it becomes significantly harder and one has to be concerned with the extra force causing things to snap and break, chain, peadal axel, bootom bracket etc. all of which could have catastrophic consequences- further, shifting under load can cause breakages as well. I do notice that while in D the transmission will shift gears.

Reply to
raamman

Yes, you do have Overdrive, there is no "O" around the D , the overdrive is completely automatic. If you are not pulling a trailer, there is no need to manually shift your auto tranny into a lower gear and you could well be damaging your tranny doing that. It is feasable if you are going up or down a steep mountain road, but not on a hill, not at all necessarry. Want more power? get a short air ram intake.

marx404

Reply to
marx404