'07 Saturn Aura radiator fan continues to run

I own a '07 Saturn Aura XR that has 155K miles on it. A week ago it starte= d doing something strange. The issue I'm experiencing only happens about 6=

0% of the time. What I've noticed is this - after I turn off the engine an= d remove the key, the radiator fan continues to run for about 3 to 4 minute= s. Sometimes, just before shutting off the car, I'll notice that the tempe= rature gauge is pointed higher then usual. I'm worried that one of these t= imes the fan will not shut off and I'll come out to a dead battery. Luckil= y, this hasn't happened yet. So far I've noticed that the fan will shut of= f a few minutes after turning off the engine. And, like I said, it doesn't= do this every time I shut off the car. Does anyone have any suggestions a= s to why the radiator fan continues to run even after turning the car off a= nd the key removed? Thanks so much for the input!!
Reply to
Shawn

...Normal operation -- I'm surprised it only JUST started happening a week ago! I suspect you just didn't notice it before. ...The fact that you noticed the temperature gauge being higher than normal is telling. I'd suggest you check the cooling system (or have it checked). I would guess that it's very likely the two conditions (hot temp and fan running) are related. ...Good luck!

Reply to
SteveT

Many cars have a cooling system that runs even when the ignition switch is off. This is because on some designs, there is not enough (or any) convection in the cooling water to ensure a flow. This by itself can be normal (don't know that much about the Aura so can't say with authority). I do think that the key thing you said is the the temperature gauge is pointing higher than normal. First thing I would do is flush the cooling system thoroughly - especially if you haven't done it in two years. Have it done professionally if you don't know how to backflush it. You may have some sediment or corrosion that is blocking some of the cooling passages, making the engine run hotter. If you have a friend with an OBDii scanner, you can read the coolant temperature and see how it compares to actual temperature.

Running down a battery with a few minutes of radiator fan is only a concern if the battery has either been abused, charging system problems or the battery is over 5 years old - in which case it's due for replacement anyway.

Hope that helped - Oppie

Reply to
Oppie

[...]

... also - can hot tranny also affect coolent temp ? Don't overlook that possibility ... time for a tranny service ? John T.

hubops

Thanks!!

Reply to
Shawn

I appreciate it.

Reply to
Shawn

I suppose it isn't out of the question. . . but, I had a complete Tranny rebuild done in November of last year. . . Thanks for the insight!

Reply to
Shawn

I also considered the fact that the fan was continuing to run because of the higher than normal temperature. . the higher temperature does have me concerned as well. I'm also thinking that the two are related. . .

Reply to
Shawn