$187 for a resonator?

Hi, Group,

I'd like your opinion. Recently, my daughter took her 2001 SC2 (purchased new 3/2000, 43,000 miles) into our North NJ dealership for a noisy exhaust. It turned out to be a leaking resonator (it's located after the catalytic converter and before the muffler). They replaced the resonator and charged us $187 for the resonator plus additional charges for a clamp, bolts and labor. Was she ripped off? Should a resonator really cost $187? Is a resonator really necessary in the first place? Couldn't it be replaced with a section of pipe, assuming you don't mind a little louder exhaust noise?

Thanks,

Al

Reply to
Soars with Turkeys

The OEM part is probably stainless steel which is going to be more expensive than a steel one (that will also rust out fairly quickly). Replacing it with a straight pipe is a possibility but it will change the exhaust back-pressure which in turn affects the engine management parameters. Don't know for sure if it will affect the emissions or cause problems with the valves (low backpressure can cause higher wear on the exhaust valves).

Aside from the high temperatures in a catalytic converter, one of the unintentional by-products is Nitrogen Oxides (NOx). These combine with the water vapor that is a normal by-product of combustion and form Nitric Acid. Stainless steel holds up much better to the acids and temperature.

I had another car with a stainless exhaust system. At 200K miles, I had all the original pipes (still in good shape) but had replaced the muffler 3 times.

Oppie

Reply to
Oppie

Believe it or not, the exhaust system on my 95 SC2 with 216k miles is completely stock! The flex pipe looks as though its ready to leak any day now(although it has looked that way for 2 years) and I have a new section to go on it when it does.

Reply to
BANDIT2941

The service dept at Saturn of Denville replaced my resonator and hardware under warranty. If I had lived in south jersey near the water they would not have warranteed it because of the salt in the air.

I would complain. They did it for me, they should do it for you. If you want a copy of my work order e-mail me.

Reply to
K2NNJ