1993 Saturn Fuel Filter Question OHC (SOHC)?

Here's the short question. I'll follow it with the long question.

I am looking to replace the fuel filter on my 1993 Saturn. I was looking on ebay and most are for DOHC engines. Question. Will the OHC engine accept a fuel pump that states it is for the DOHC?

LONG QUESTION: :)

I have been storing this car for son when he turns 16. (He has) The car was given to me about 2 years ago by my mom. She took absolute perfect care of the car, having it maintained at EVERY INTERVAL. She gave it to me, and I have never driven it. I unfortunetely didnt take the proper care for the car for the last couple of years. (#1, I didnt drain the fuel tank). I have started it approximately every 2 months, and it has always started up perfectly. Unfortunetely, the weekend that I planned to get it ready to give to my son, I couldn't get the thing to start.

I replaced the Battery and checked the plugs. It had a 1/4 tank of gas at the time. After it not starting, I put about another 1/4 tank of gas into it, to make sure there was some good fuel in it. Nothing.

The thing is, I dont even smell any fumes in the engine compartment. As though no fuel is getting to the injectors. One friend told me to replace the fuel filter first, another told me to check and see if I hear a 'Hummmmm' when I turn the key. (I dont'!!)

Therefore, I am assuming the worst and plan on replacing the Pump.

Question is, Does anyone have any input as to the problem, Abd second. There are pumps on eBay for $50.00 but they state they are for a DOHC engine. I was wondering if anyone knows if the Single OverHead Cam Engine will take the same pump. (Bolting and all)

Thanks all for any input,

Jason

Reply to
jddecker

Short answer yes they do differ.

Goto advanceautoparts.com and call up the parts you are looking for and compair part numbers between the two engines. If you are looking on ebay for used fuel pumps, stop right now. No history, no way to inspect them, and no returns for faulty units. Check fuses and the wiring harness near the fuel pump. Also look for signs of mice if you have them as they may have chewed on something.

Reply to
blah blah

Jason....start with easy things first.

Before you replace the pump, consider checking the pump fuse to make sure it's ok. I will be located underneath the console, behind a little panel on the passenger side (refer to the car manual for fuse number and location). I would also check the underhood junction block to see if there are any fuses there for the pump but I doubt it.

The little hummmmm you're talking about comes from the back of the car where the fuel tank is and it might be hard to notice by some, so I would try to fold down the rear seats and turn the ignition key to ACC (I think this is the spot, just one click shy from START). If you're still not sure if you hear it, try getting someone to listen in the back.

If the noise still isn't present...check the wiring connections to the pump. Make sure you've got voltage going there when the ignition key is turned (12 volt bulb should be adequeate in lieu of a DC voltmeter).

If the voltage is there but not the hummmmm, then you can safely assume it's the pump.

Alex

snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net wrote:

Reply to
navaidstech

It's probably too late to help you, but for the benefit of lurkers - gasoline only "keeps" for a few months. After that, it can form varnish or gum up the fuel system. For longer term storage, you can add a stabilizer to it, such as this one -

John Cowart

Reply to
bo peep

snip

Do a Google groups search on 'S series fuel pump wiring' it may be your problem.

Your post is confusing as you start out talking about replacing a fuel filter then you are talking about replacing your pump.

You should complete ALL POSSIBLE diagnostics to confirm a failed pump before you start thinking about replacing it. It is a big job as IIRC it requires dropping the tank. I would be surprised if your pump would fail from low usage.

The pump will only operate for a few seconds to build up pressure when the key is turned to on before attempting a start. If you do not hear a sound wait a minute before trying again.

Do not buy a used pump if it may be hard or impossible to return it if it is NFG.

Good luck, YMMV

Reply to
Private

snip

Do a Google groups search on 'S series fuel pump wiring'.

Your post is confusing as you start talking about changing a filter then talk about changing a pump. Do ALL POSSIBLE diagnostics BEFORE deciding to change the pump as IIRC it is a big job and requires dropping the tank.

Listen for the pump to operate for a few seconds to build up pressure when the key is turned on. Expect to wait a minute before trying again.

Do not buy a pump you cannot return if it is NFG.

Good luck, YMMV

Reply to
Private

I keep hearing about this but personally have never had a problem even after lengthy storage approaching two years. There can be problems with bacteria growth in diesel fuel but AFAIK this is not normally a problem with gasoline. I am sure climate has a lot to do with it, and I would worry more about water in the fuel or gas. I would also worry about internal engine corrosion and especially corrosion in the exhaust caused by starting the engine but not operating long enough to completely dry out the exhaust and muffler piping..

I do suggest storage with tank completely full or completely empty.

YMMV

Reply to
Private