1993 saturn, smell fuel

hi ,when i took my oil cap off to put a quart of oil in i smelled fuel. i have been having a problem with the car dieing on me at stop lights or when i slow down. it is a 4cyl,5 speed. do you know what the problem is?

Reply to
had2be

Check the PCV circuit. Chances that blow-by is putting the fumes into the crankcase. Also check the EGR system. A leaking EGR (valve not closing off completely at idle) will cause these problems too. Don't know specifically about that engine but egr valves usually have to be cleaned when carbon builds up on the seat and the valve can't close.

Reply to
Oppie