1993 SC2 temp gauge 1/4 to 3/4 and back

I have heard a lot of people have the same problem as me. It seems there is not enough air getting to the raditor at first. Then I realized that the temp gauge goes up to 3/4 at regular intervals then the fan kicks on and drops it to 1/4 in a matter of minutes.

The process then repeats. I think this is unnecessary wear and tear on the engine. Does anyone else have this problem? Is it normal? and Can it be cured by replacing the temp. sensor?

My heat is fine and it's the dead of winter and the car still warms up in a few minutes. I just don't want to subject the engine to constant heating and cooling. I only have 97600 miles.

Reply to
tweek2

"tweek2" typed until their fingers bled, and came up with:

Once again, This is NORMAL.

Reply to
Kevin M. Keller

That is normal if you are sitting in traffic. If you are moving over 10 mph, the gauge shouldn't go up unless you have a problem...

I wish there was a way to program the fan to come on at the =BD mark instead of =BE mark.

If you are in traffic, you can turn the AC on for about 5 secs and then turn it off. The fan will run for about 4 minutes after you turn off the AC causing the temp to stay down.

James1549

Reply to
James1549