1995 Saturn SW1 EGR Valve

My SW1 is a great car, but it recently started to stutter under light acceleration, and it get more noticeable the faster i am going. i discovered later that some of my spark plugs were arcing on the engine block, so i replaced the plugs and cable, which fixed that, but not the stutters. now i asked my dad what he thought and he said it could be the EGR Valve, so i unplugged my EGR and the car runs great, unfortunatly, i get terrible gas milage now (17 MPG) i actually started getting that milage when the problem started. now my question is is the EGR valve toast and i need to get a new one? or can it be fixed?

Reply to
minimooseisfullofrage

Take it off and let it soak in carb cleaner over night. It is onlt two bolts. Start the car for a few minutes with it off. The car will rev a lot higher, but this cleans out the rest of it.

I do it with my 95 from time to time. A new one is a few hundred dollars. This is a fix, explained to me by a Staturn machanic.

This will fix the service engine soon light also from coming on.

Reply to
Shawn

Not sure about the '95, but the EGR valve from the dealer for my '92 was only $70.

James

Shawn wrote:

Reply to
James1549

Older diaphragm type EGR vale is not repairable, if engine stutter as said the diaphragm is weak or worn and does not hold vacuum. it must be replace. It is cheaper than the new electronic EGR valve. But new design EGR vale can be removed and cleaned as the Tech said. Just have to be careful not to damage the gasket. The passage in the engine can be cleaned as well and rev the engine high a couple of time when the valve is out to clean it.