1995 SW2 stalling

My friend has a 1995 Saturn wagon (sw2) that he wants to sell because it keeps stalling. He has taken it to several shops and they cannot find anything wrong. The problem is described as the car will stall when making a quick turn in either direction. Also, after cruising at highway speed and getting off an exit ramp, come to a stop and the car will stall. I'm thinking egr valve from what I have read here. I suggested replacing the egr, but he balked at the cost. My friend is tired of this car and not driven the car for nearly a year. He wants to sell it for $500. The car only has 66000 miles, auto trans, power windows / dl. I am thinking of buying it, but could the problem be much more sinister? He says when he did drive it, it did not burn oil. What do you think, is it worth buying and fixing?

Reply to
AJmtnbiker

Hell I'd buy that! My guess so far would be EGR as well. You can clean it if its just dirty. Second guess would be fuel pump...

Reply to
blah blah

Has he taken it to a Saturn retailer to get a proper diagnosis done? It's usually under $50, and they're the experts with these cars. What did reading the stored trouble codes reveal?

An EGR valve costs less than $150. He'd sell the car and buy another (presumably at a cost greater than $150) to avoid spending $150 on this car? I swear, I can't believe some people's logic, or lack of, when it comes to cars...

In addition to that - are our guesses (or yours) better than guesses by the several mechanics he already took it to? Please suggest that he get the proper diagnosis done by a Saturn retailer's service department. If it saves him from replacing one part the car doesn't need (and saves him from getting rid of a car over the whole ordeal), it has paid for itself.

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]

Reply to
Lane

I agree.. as far as some people.. I've noticed that some people don't want to fix anything infact an oil change is somewhat of a major overhaul.. of course others that have done costly repairs sometimes a small one just isn't worth it anymore.

Reply to
p_vouers

He shares a car with his wife and they have been using one car for the last year. They are paying insurance on the saturn and it is just sitting there. He will not buy another car, just wants to get rid of this one. I am going to read the codes tommorrow night, give hime the option of helping him fix it, or just buy it.

Reply to
AJmtnbiker