1996 SL2 - bucking & idle problems

OK.. 74k miles on the car.. stuff I've done so far:

plug wires - replaced 1 yr ago

plugs - replaced 2 weeks ago, got these from the dealership

EGR valve - just replaced this today, after hooking it up I reset the computer by leaving the battery unhooked for 30 minutes (disconnected the negative terminal). I replaced it because it was not coming clean when I used throttle body cleaner on it.

Fuel filter - replaced 2 weeks ago

Also, 2 weeks ago, I cleaned out the throttle body. The cleaner said it was sensor safe, but I'm wondering if I may have messed something up.

The car is bucking very badly and the engine seems to be misfiring (?). At times (not constantly) it idles at about 1800 or more, this seems to go away after driving a bit.

Any ideas?? Thanks for your wisdom in advance. :)

William Tucker

Reply to
embee

embee

Alternator?

When the alternator is going out, it puts such crap on the power line of the car that the computers get confused.

And, if the voltage is low, the computer tries to compensate by increasing the idle.

You have a 96 SL2 with 74k miles. And, we're getting summer weather.

I'd suspect the alternator. Replace it with a dealer rebuild. The schlock that you get over the counter at Pep-Kragun-Autozoner-Etc might have a life-time warranty, but it won't be as good of an alternator.

Also, replace the battery if the battery isn't NEW, because I guarantee you, if your alternator is going, you've overstressed the battery.

Also, make sure when you replace the battery that the terminal bolts aren't too long so that they bottom out and crack the new battery.

Reply to
Kirk Kohnen

I had the same problem with a 1993. Turned out to be a fuel pressure regulator that had a small leak. That caused inconsistent fuel delivery and that resulted in "bucking", especially under load at below freeway speed.

I was getting Code 49 and sometimes a Code 32. The slight "smell" of gas under the hood is what caused me to check the fuel pressue regulator. Fixed that 5,000 miles ago and NO problems since!

Reply to
paul

wouldn't surprise me. I also own a 96 saturn sl-2, and it's on it's third alternator. I was told at one saturn dealership's service dept, that this is common because of the placement of the alternator and heat issues. At least I got one replaced under warranty.

I've never had bucking issues, when my alternator went out, it just killed my battery fairly quickly both times(which logically doesn't surprise me either). I have had misfiring issues. I dunno, maybe there are issues with these things and misfiring too.

The only other major maintenance ive had besides brakes, tires, etc, is that i had some valve leakage. That was causing misfires also if I remember right(happened a few years back). I've got an A/C issue right now too, as i posted in another thread.

I'm at 130k miles and climbing.

But i'm starting to get antsy. Looking at some other cars now. I just have a hard time throwing out a paid-off car :) I'm especially intrigued by the hybrids(ie. Toyota's Prius), but they still seem pricey.

Reply to
Not Much

My wife and I each had 97 SL2s. I keep a spare alternator on the shelf at home. And, I've gotten real good at replacing the alternators relatively quickly.

It has been my experience that they go out roughly every 35,000 miles. I live in Southern California, so there is a heat issue.

There are. When the alternator goes, it puts crap on the power line for the car. The computers get a bit confused by this. Often the first symptom of an alternator failure is seemingly unrelated drivability problems.

I looked at the Prius before I got a new ION3.

Bottom line: Cool neat technology, but on a dollar per performance basis, not too great. I got the ION3 quad coupe with the GM employee discount and the $2,000 cash back for about $16,300 out the door. And, that was with leather, the VTi transmission and the bestest sound system that Saturn puts into cars. Very happy with it.

Reply to
Kirk Kohnen

change your heat senser,right on back ov motor,that will probly fix the idle.i have been trying to figure out the bucking problem for year now in az the summer time when ac is on it bucks,in winter time it runs fine.i am thinking it might be the aulternator from pep boys. or the fuel regulater.

Reply to
togf