1996 SL2 Engine Value

I've got a 1996 SL2 that has a dealer installed, factory made engine with about 40,000 miles on it. Oil changes at 3,000 miles etc., since we had this done. The rest of the car is in fair shape, but I think the engine would be worth the most to an enthusiast. Anyone have any idea what the $$ value is for just the engine? I'm not looking to part the car out, once I sell it, it goes out of the driveway in one piece. The glass, door panels, tranny are all in good shape too. Overall miles on the car are about 180,000.

Reply to
Gclanman

Same value as a junk yard engine. Check around and see what they are selling for in your area.

Reply to
Gyzmologist

I don't think you quite understand. This engine has all of the dealers invoices, additional things they did for the installation (other new parts, etc). It's not out of a wrecked car, it's a very well documented engine. You won't get any documentation at a junkyard, and have no idea about the engine except that it's from that year and make.

Reply to
Gclanman

But can folks drive the car and actually test the engine or are you offering a warranty? You can document the engine at the time you bought it but how to they know it doesn't NOW have a bad rod bearing?

David

Reply to
DLR

I concur. It may be worth slightly more than a junk yard engine, but not anything near what YOU paid for it. These engines are fairly readily available and last a long time, even if they do consume a lot of oil as they age. (Demand would seem to be fairly low and supply relatively high.)

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

warranty? You can document the engine at the time you bought it but how to they know it doesn't NOW have a bad rod bearing?

Sure, they can drive it and test the engine. The engine runs quite well, and no, I don't offer a warranty (and I don't think junkyards do either). All I'm saying is that it's a Saturn manufactured, dealer installed engine with documentation to that effect. How do I know it doesn't have X or Y isn't the issue (anything can happen at anytime to anything or anyone), all I asked was what some enthusiast might think the value of the engine is, because I'm going to sell the car and that may have an impact on the selling price. Simple question, I didn't ask any other question, and I just think it may be worth more than one out of a wreck '96 with 200K on it.

Reply to
Gclanman

a warranty? You can document the engine at the time you bought it but how to they know it doesn't NOW have a bad rod bearing?

In rereading your original post I can see how I and likely other concluded the car was wreaked and you were selling it for parts. Not parting it yourself but selling it for parts. I'm guessing the car still runs but you're tired of the car and just want to sell it.

Yes, an engine in the later situation would be worth more than a junk yard engine. As to how much more, I don't know.

David

Reply to
DLR

Most junkyards do not inspect their engines but rather offer a time limited money back guarantee. The result of this is that most customers do not realize they have bought a poor engine or an oil burner untill after it is installed and they have delivered the old core for credit. After they realize they have a poor engine, their original and probably rebuildable core is long gone, and it seems like too much work to remove the junkyard engine and return it to the yard so they just drive or sell the car as is. If they had known the engine was poor they would not invest time and money on the swap but once it is done it is seldom worth going back or trying a different engine from the same yard. The yard will consider this a 'satisfied' customer and will claim that few of their engines are ever returned and it is a very cheap guarantee for them to offer as the customer does all the evaluation work for nothing. Caveat emptor.

All I'm saying is that it's a Saturn manufactured,

Is this a NEW engine? OR a Saturn dealer or factory (or third party 'authorized'?) REmanufactured engine? A REmanufactured engine MAY be a standard rebuilt engine rebuilt to standard operating (used engine) tolerances OR it CAN be a rebuilt (used engine) rebuilt to new engine tolerances. Either can have rebored cylinders and/or reground crankshaft and MAY have many used parts such as camshafts or even pistons. Caveat emptor. The quality of any of these rebuilt engines is widely variable and few would consider them equal to a factory manufacured NEW engine built with ALL NEW parts AND factory quality control AND factory (NOT dealer) warranty.

dealer

Nobody will care who INSTALLED the engine and the only documentation that is of value is the ENGINE source documentation and any warranty that may be used by a subsequant buyer. Most warranties will only cover the original purchaser AND only when installed in the original vehicle but YMMV.

How do I know it

IMHO the engine will be worth the most IN a running and usable car, but YMMV. IF you find a buyer who needs the engine then they will probably be able to use lots of the other parts from the complete car and they will be able to drive the car for a while to check the engine condition and may even want to put their worn engine in your old car so they can sell it 'as is'.

Good luck, YMMV

Reply to
Private

DLR, and Private: Thank you for taking the time to respond.

DLR: you got it right that it's in a drivable, running car. My daughter has been driving it for the last few years and just decided to upgrade to a newer car. So now I have more cars than parking and drivers, time to sell.

Private: Thanks for the time you put into your post, I will check and see where the dealer got the engine, My recollection is that it was from Saturn Corp., and not a rebuild, but new and to factory specs. Some very good points for me to double check throughout your post.

Clanny

Reply to
Gclanman

the car with engine is worth from 2k to 2500 dollars. With a documented engine you might get the higher of the 2 values.

Reply to
p_vouers