1997 SC2 Ghost Revving

Hi all.

This is the third day in a row that this is happening. When idling in neutral at an intersection, the engine will rev to 2000rpm for a few seconds and then go back to around 1000rpm. This will happen once during a drive.

Today, this happened three times, with the engine revving to 3000rpm at one occurrence. This seems to occur when the engine has not fully warmed up, yet it doesn't occur at start-up. It occurs only after about five minutes of driving.

Anybody have any idea as to what is going on?

Thanks.

Frank

128,000km
Reply to
Frank

Woobie

My 98 sc2 did the exact same thing - took about 2 weeks to find out it was a valve that was sticking and needed to be re-placed. i can't remember of hand exactly what valve it was but i was lucky it was covered under warenty. after they 'fixed' it it worked fine.

Reply to
K Dog

Reply to
Woobie

Turns out it was the coolant temp sensor was dead. I didn't notice until a day later that the coolant temp needle would start at half way, then drop to its lowest point and then back and forth a few times. Brought the car to the dealer and he said the sensor and the housing was completely corroded. Also had the engine mount changed and a loose tie rod replaced. All totalled, $600.00. I now have some new found respect for the dealer. Thanks to the new engine mount, car feels like new when driving. I thought the vibrations I had been experiencing were normal for a car my age!

Frank

Reply to
Frank