1997 SW1 A/C commpressor replacement

I was wondering if anyone here could help. I need to replace the A/C compressor on my SW1 and I am trying to locate the dryer unit but it seems to be tucked away somewhere that I can't see from looking down under the hood. Can anyone tell me where this is located? Even better, is there any websites that have specific diagrams of my engine compartment? Any help would be appreciated

- Bill

Reply to
Billycat

it is in the high pressure line under the engine behnd a splash sield. I woud suggest though if you do not have a professional recovery system or at least a vaucum pump you will not be able to replace anything without further damage to the system. AC systems are not just dump and replace parts, there are evacuation procedures that need to be imployed otherwise the system will fail again in a very very short time. There is a certain amount of oil needed in the system as well as refrigerant, o-rings etc. If your trying to save money then go to an a/ c service center. You could replace the compressor which would save you a great deal BUT let an a guy do the dryer and charging of the system, you'll be money ahead. I use to do a/c service but I new better that when my system needed repair to take it to someone that still had all the equipment. Phil

Reply to
p_vouers

Thanks for the reply, and yes, I will definitely take it to a service center to get the vacuum and recharge done. I will certainly consider your advice but I think we may still install the dryer and expansion valve ourselves. I am curious though, why do you recommend having a service center do the dryer install? Is there something more tricky to it that I may not be considering?

I have to admit that my dad is helping me with this job and he seems to have a pretty good track record for understanding this sort of stuff far better than me...and usually knows when he's in over his head.

Reply to
Billycat

No, you can replace everything as long as you pick up some refrigerant oil and get new o-rings. Coat the o-ring with refrigerant oil prior to putting the fitting back together. I only suggested the service center do this because if you burned up the old compressor then they should flush the lines with refrigerant solvent before the replace the dryer and expansion valve. The dryer should not be open to the atmosphere for any lenght of time before the systemis evacuted and charged. When shopping for a ervice person check and see what they are charging for the dryer and expansion valve and IF they would put yours in.. some wont warranty their work unless they provide the parts.. Phil

Reply to
p_vouers

If there is still refrigerant in the system, it should be recycled properly (which involves pumping it out and into a recycling tank). Once the system is down to ambient pressure, it can be opened up to replace components.

As components are removed, it is good to measure the amount of refrigerant oil that remained in each component and tell this to the person performing the re-charge. The system must have a minimum quantity of oil that circulates within it. Too little, and the compressor will fail and too much will reduce the cooling capacity. As you are replacing the compressor and drier, it makes sense to have the evaporator and condenser coils flushed (not with compressed air as it leaves moisture behind - bad). Then you can start fresh and add the initial recommended quantity of oil.

I didn't see whether you had R12 or R134. Make sure if you add the oil, you get the right type. The two refrigerants have specific oils that are used with them.

The vacuum pump down has to be greater than 29" Hg - the point where water boils off at ambient temperature. It is necessary to get any water/vapor from the system before charging or it will freeze and block the expansion valve/evaporator.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Oppie

Because of the nature of the dryers job in the system, it should not be changed if the system has not been cleaned and purged.

I would be surprised if a reputable ac guy would not require he install the dryer as part of the service.

If the compressor has burned, he may want to acid clean the piping and heat exchangers as well.

Likewise for the expansion valve, you don't want to get any debris from a contaminated system in to a new valve.

Saving a couple bucks up front could very likely cause a repeat compressor failure.

Reply to
Jay R