1998 saturn sc1 emits black soot out exhaust

when my saturn sits or idles it omits black sooty residue out the exhaust, also the check engine light comes intermittly. I have changed the head gasket, plugs, oxygen sensor, pcv valve. It clears up when you drive the car, but once you idle, or shut the car off and dont start for sometime it starts all over again. the exhaust fumes smell fuel rich. Does anyone have any ideas?

Reply to
taxsee

sometime it

anyone have

Injector problems?

Reply to
Napalm Heart

Check the CTS (coolant temperature sensor) may be telling puter the engine is cold and needs more fuel.

Reply to
justastreekin

I'd check for that or the possibility of a stuck open injector. Does it idle high?

Reply to
BANDIT2941

the engine does not idle high

Reply to