1999 SL2 - start problems

I would like to ask for assistance with my car, a 1999 SL2, that will crank, but not catch.

The car has been regularly serviced and there were no known issues as of last Thursday. The car has not been started since that time. This morning, it cranks but never gets running. The weather has not been significantly cold or hot (between 38 - 60 degrees F).

The lights, signals, etc., seem to be all right (it does not seem to lose "power" when attempting to start, etc.).

I thought it might be the starter, but isn't that normally associated with a "click" rather than sounding like it's about to start?

In the list of things to look at/potentially replace, would a starter be something that a novice could replace or would I probably need to get it towed?

TIA

Reply to
tom_sawyer70

Engines need fuel, air, and spark in order to start. One of these is missing. Pretty hard to tell from here which one -- but fuel is the most likely, and air the least. Are you sure it has gas in the tank?

A failed fuel pump may be the culprit. If you turn the ignition switch on (but not to the start position), you should hear the fuel pump begin to run. If you don't, that may be the problem. Or the electrical connection to the fuel pump may be bad. You can trace the circuit with a voltmeter and find out if the fuel pump is getting electricity. If it is, but it's not running, then it's probably bad.

The fuel pump is located inside the fuel tank, and replacing the pump requires draining and removing the tank -- not a job for a self-confessed novice.

There's no reason at all to suspect the starter: if the engine cranks, the starter works. And the battery is good, too.

Better to diagnose the problem first, rather than begin replacing random parts in the hope that one of them will cure it. If you're set on that idea, though, don't bother with the starter. It's fine.

Reply to
Doug Miller

You could check fuel by depressing the shradder valve to see if it sprya out any fuel at all then turn the ignition off - on again to prinme the circuit. check one more time then you sort of know the pump is priming. as for spark you could remove the plugs and connect to the plug wire one by one and ground out the plug then crank the engine to see if there is good spark. If all this checked out. I would suspect the faulty crankshaft position sensor. Then crank shaft position sensor is located between the starter and the engine.