2000 L series, strange noise in dash when turning wheel

Hello All,

My wife has a 2000 L series with 41,500 miles. At low speeds you can hear a faint rubbing noise when the steering wheel is turned in either direction.

Is there a worn rubber mount? or a maybe a dry plastic socket? Please tell me I can hit it with a hammer and fix it. I don't want to have the entire steering column and dash dismanteled to fix this.

Thanks in advance, JR

Reply to
JR

Check the shroud surrounding the column where it is closest to the wheel. If that isn't loose or rubbing, get out the wallet.

Dana

Reply to
Dana Rohleder

My '01 SL has had a similar noise since day one. I just figured it was normal and no big deal.

Rick

Reply to
dorkus.erectus

My 2003 ION3 has a similar problem.

When the sterrig wheel is rotated I hear a noise that sounds like a shaft rotating inside a dry rubber bushing. Quite loudly. The car is in for a whole bunch of in-warranty issues on Tuesday.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Seal