2000 Saturn SL - A/C Problem

I have an a/c in which the compressor does not kick in. It spins so I know its not seized. It is full of refridgerant, at least it wouldn't take anymore when I attempted to add some. Any ideas on what it may be and how to diagnose it?

Reply to
tomtyo

I'm not sure how you determined that the refrigerant was "full" or that the compressor would "spin" given that you said you could not get the AC clutch to "kick in." I mention this since the most likely cause is generally a system leak causing low refrigerant.

When you say the compressor spins, I assume you might mean the pulley that has the A/C belt is spinning. You really won't know if the AC compressor actually spins until the clutch is engaged. On adding refrigerant, this too must be done when the compressor is running since this pressurizes the system and causes the low pressure side to drop so that it can draw the coolant from the can. If you attemopted to add to a static system and none was drawn in then this is not a surprise, but may be a good sign that the system is still pressurized to some degree.

If what you indicated is indeed actually true, then a couple of other possibilities to consider are the interior controls (does the fan/blower work and does the heat shut off when moved to cool even if the AC does not come on?) or the A/C relay as well as the compressor clutch or a wiring/connector problem.

Good luck.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman