2000 SL1 Brake Noises

Hi, With the stock brakes on an 2000 SL1 how long on average will they last?

Second question... when it rains or is very humid outside my brakes seem to become very touchy as in if I push them down rather then coming to a nice stop they will grab the rims very hard it seems. This only happens once or twice and then they work fine, and usually seems to happen when it's been raining/very humid and the car has been parked. If it's dry/hot and the car is parked, they are fine, or if I drive/brake/drive/brake they are ok as well. They also seem to squeek when I apply the brake after it has been raining... if it's dry out no sqeek.

Is this normal? My chevy cavalier used to do this same thing after it rained.. where the brakes would get very touchy.. is that normal?

~ Matt

Reply to
Matt

That answer varies greatly with driving habits, they should be checked during a tire rotation which is roughly every 6 months or 6k miles. If you're in doubt it is a good idea to get your brakes checked.

I dont have a SL1 or a Cavalier so I dont know. Someone else would have to fill you in on that but it sounds abnormal.

Reply to
Blah Blah

Rust on the rotors - very common. The only way to prevent it is to keep them dry. If you drove every day or parked inside you probably would never notice it. Might shorten the life of the pads / rotors a little but changing them is a lot less money than building a garage for the car. :-)

Reply to
D V Brownell