2000 SL1 Idling high

My 2000 SL1 idles high at various times. Sometimes it idles correctly and other times it will fluctuate all the way up to 1800 rpm's. Anyone have a clue of what might be causing this?

Thanks

Reply to
bearcat500

My 1997 did that to me about 2 years ago and especially when the weather was cold and wet..

A new idle air control valve did the trick for me at about $35 CAD from Saturn. Although my repair manuals said to not pull the valve out with my fingers, if I didn't at least pull it out part way, the engine would race up to 5000RPM.

While you've got the throttle assemble apart, it's also a good idea to stick it in a pail and spray throttle body cleaner all over it to get rid of the varnish.

Regards,

Bill

Reply to
Bill ing

My 98SL2 would idle high at seemingly random times. A previous thread discusses the issue:

Short version:

The throttle position sensor was bad. Took 8 (IIRC) trips to the dealership before I could get the TPS to act up for them. They changed a bunch of sensors before figuring out it was the TPS.

I've never had the problem since they replaced the TPS.

-rj

bearcat500 wrote:

Reply to
richard hornsby

welll here is some more help ..........the intake manifold gasket could be blown ..and your air gas mixture is too high ..therefore causing a high idle....or u have a vaccum leak somewhere ....but mine was an intake manifold gasket ...23$ cad. and 5 hours labor on my part . hope it helps. Robert

Reply to
milkdude971

How long ago did that happen and the camshaft code get set? Something could have happened to the cam sensor during the intake repair.

Reply to
Blah blah