2000 SL2 drivers seat

Saturn SL2 2000- failed inspection because of loose drivers seat. The Torx head bolts holding down the assembly are tight (had a doozy of a time finding a Torx socket-Pep Boys thought it was a proprietary tool from Saturn), it seems that whatever is holding the framework in the runner is loose and only in the front; that is, the seat only rocks backwards (and only a tiny bit). I'm about to remove the seat and have a look, but before I do, does anyone know if this is a fixable thing? Will it require a complete seat assembly or will I be able to replace whatever individual componentis are broken or maladjusted? Ive got the Haynes book but it tells me nothing. Also, in the event I do have to replace the whole seat, where can I find info on what range of model years will fit my car? Thanks, all.

Reply to
Hank

there was a recall / technical bulletin on certain S-series pertaning to loose seat bolts, I dont remember what years it pertained to though. Seems to be an inherent issue with S-series sometimes, but can be fixed. You may have to remove all seats ans tighten or replace the faulty tracks and bolts.

marx404

Reply to
marx404

Further to marx404 comments, once you have the seats out of the car you should try exchanging the driver and passenger seats. The drivers seat tends to get more wear and both seats tend to wear most on the outside caused by rubbing when getting in and out of the car. The passenger adjustment tracks also tend to get a lot less usage. Many would suggest that all front seats should be switched at the half life of the car just to equalize wear. I have not exchanged seats on a Saturn but many (or most) cars have interchangeable seats and frames. I suspect that the inspectors do not inspect the passenger seat and would also suspect that there is no requirement to even have a right front seat installed at the time of inspection.

YMMV

Reply to
Private