2001 SL2 - low temp indicated and very little heat

I just got back from a vacation and my trusty 2001 SL2 has a new heating problem. After starting it up and letting it idle maybe 5 minutes the temp guage registers only a bit above "cold" . . . the first mark on the guage. Usually it would be almost to the "normal" heat level . . . almost to the

1/4 mark. Also, very little heat is coming to the interior.

I figured I'd get a coolant flush done. They did a chemical clean and flush to get rid of the sticky gunk that had shown up in the coolant resevoir. All seemed fine when I let the new coolant circulate at idle. However, after I left the shop, the temp started to go down again.

This is the first time since new that it's given me any problems with heat. Is this a thermastat issue, or a CTS? Or, something else entirely???

Thanks.

Reply to
Jeff Bowyer

Sounds like the coolant level may be low or you have a trapped air bubble in the system that needs to be bled out. after the system was flushed and re-filled. The only other possibilities are that the temperature sender is broken or the thermostat is stuck open. (You can check these by feeling for the flow of coolant through the upper radiator hose and judging its temperature.)

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Quite likely, especially in a 7 or 8 year old car like yours, especially if it still has the original thermostat. Unfortunately, you get to buy new coolant again too.

Reply to
bo peep

Reply to
jcdgorv

Trapped air is best vented from the highest point in the cooling system. I'm not as familiar with the 1997 SL series, but most vehicles with the thermostat in the upper radiator hose have a small bleeder vale (looks like a brake bleed valve) which can be used to vent the trapped air. You simply run the engine to get the coolant up to temperature, open the valve slightly and then close the valve when it starts to leak the coolant. If there is no bleeder accessible, then you could most likely remove a clamp at the upper radiator hose and make sure the hose is full of coolant.

Good luck.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

OK, a new thermostat seems to have taken care of it. Cost me a mickey of Dominican Republic Rum and $60.00. Best deal in town!!

Cheers!

JB

Reply to
Jeff Bowyer