2001 tail light assembly

Has anyone had issues with the tail/stop lights not making contact with the assembly. I pat my break lights on and the tail light goes out. Is there possible a recall on this?

Jim

Reply to
Newsguy

Are you the one who posted on this previously? The old messages are gone from my server so I can't check.

I had a similar problem on my '01 lw300 where the driver's side rear tail lamp was flaky. I bent out the spring contact of the lamp holder slightly and also carefully bent the stamped metal contact of the lamp housing to make better contact. It's been fine since.

Don't try to insert or move the lamp holder with the power on. I caused a short circuit when trying to insert the lamp holder and blew the fuse. Not sure if this was also the cause of a failed body controller module.

Oppie

Reply to
Oppie

Thanks Oppie;

I have tried to bend some of the contacts but no good. I ended up putting a piece of paper under the edge of the frame to make it tighter. It seems to work until the cops stop my wife. I'm getting edgy. Gotta get this fixed.

Thanks again Jim

Reply to
Newsguy

Edgy because of the cops, or because of what your wife will do to you if the cops pull her over? :)

Reply to
richard hornsby

lol I like that one......

I went to Saturn parts department. I was told that year was the worst design for taillights. The complete assembly was changed for 2002 (I believe). The offending parts were German design (Opal) . Two new assemblies to replace the old will cost about $110 each. What a bummer. Saturn knew about this. When you get to the bottom line it really is a safety violation.

Thanks for listening Jim

Reply to
Newsguy