2002 SC2 vs 2007 ION.2 compare

I have been driving a brand new 2007 ION.2 (w/15" alloys) for the last 4 days now. I am comparing it to my '02 SC2 in consideration to trade up. My SC2 feels quite faster than the ION although the ION is much smoother. When going pedal to the metal, my Sc2 (w/ 64K mi) will really take off, the ION seems lethargic in comparison.

Handling via the SC2's power assist rack and pinion vs the ION's elctro-mechanical steering is apples and oranges too. I have to admit that I do have a front end strut bar and BF Goodrich Traction TA 195/15 's on the SC so that would problably make all the difference in the world as far as handling. Once I got used to the stock ION's suspension and steering, which felt like it has a 1 second delay in reaction time I found it to be very able in dry and especially rainy wet roads.

I would assume that if I were to add a front strut bar and upgrade the tires as well as add in a K&N drop-in filter and mod the stock intake as I have on my SC, handling and performance would greatly improve? Saturn Motorsports has a nice strut bar for under $100. The radio in the ION doesnt sound as good as the SC, but I love the layout. I want a bigger car but dont want to give up on too much performance nor do I want to go crazy with mods. I may get either auto or manual, dunno yet.

My SC is already 5 yrs old and still in great shape, it has plenty of equity before it gets too high mileage, as this is the last chance to get the last Spring Hill original and the '07 2.2 has been reworked for '07, I am thinking the time may be right. Whaddya ppl think about my new project car idea?

Reply to
marx404

Another option - get the '07 Ion, but get the 2.4 model. The steering is *much* better, and it has an extra 30 or so horses, which makes a big difference.

Reply to
bo peep

I agree, but you can only get that engine option with level 3, which only comes with either leather or Velour, which in the deep south gets too hot, I hate velour seats and already have leather which I am geting tired of caring for. I like the ION.2 cloth seats best, wish they were a little better quality cloth, but they are just fine for me. The 2.2 has much better torque to HP ratio anyways, 2.2 = 145 hp, 2.4 = 170 hp, but less torque and both are limited by the 6500rpm cap the same. My main want this time is a manual drive 2.2.

Reply to
marx404

K&N's do a nice job of destroying MAF sensors. The stock air filters already flow more air than engines demand.

The fate of the US auto workers is already sealed. If by chance "you" buying an ION would keep them working I would say go for it... At this rate you wont be able to buy anything US made or owned. I'd say wait and see how the 5dr Astra will come out and wait and see if it will be made over here anytime soon...

anyway g2g

Reply to
BläBlä

That's incorrect - the 2.2 has 150ftlbs @ 4,200rpm, while the 2.4 has