2002 SL1 ... or so I'm told ..

Keep the oil filled.

is it a Single cam (SL1) motor, or a dual cam motor? (SL2)

hint - if you pop the hood, is the top of the motor metal (SOHC/SL1) or composite (black) - DOHC/SL2

Reply to
Kevin

Start out with changing all the fluids (coolant, engine oil and tranny) and then change engine oil no more than every 3K miles. Saturn have a tendancy to gum up and have piston rings stick with age if you do not change oil often. Also since it is a aluminum engine it is hard on coolant and personally I would use more than 50/50 is any aluminum enegine for best protection. When mazda first launched the rotory engine in 70's with a aluminum block they shipped with 90/10 but 60/40 or 70/30 will do fine and a lot better than 50/50.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Yes no more than 5000Km or so. Cheap insurance for that motor

Pretty easy and straight forward. It holds a little over 4 quart so get 5 so you can top it off and do change filter too

Not really

Do watch coolant with a aluminum motor. GM tried to use dexicool as a solution to problem and though many will debate it. 50/50 is not enough and if you live up north you want more regardless for better cold weather protection. BTW, Dexi is a not a bad coolant as much as it is that fact that the reactivety of a aluminum block with it in

50/50 mix can bring out the worst of it sometimes.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Hello group. I just bought a used 2002 SL1. My first Saturn. Auto transmission (5 speed ?); 1.9 litre; PW; PL; no cruise. I have no maintenance history - looks clean & straight.

70,000 km
  1. Anything I should keep a close eye on ? (beware of)
  2. It came with no Owners Manual - where on the vehicle is the "SL1" model stated ? Any comments or advice appreciated. John T.
Reply to
_jj_
< snips>

Ahhh. OK. It is SOHC. hence SL1. I didn't know what the model name meant. Thanks for the info John T.

Reply to
_jj_

Thanks for the info. I've always been careful about oil changes - about 6000 km in my previous cars - I'll knock that back a little to 5000. I'll definitely do the trans fluid soon. Is it a do-it-yourself job, for the driveway ? or dealer ? The external trans filter seems like a good idea - a little hard-to-get-to .. maybe ? I'll pay more attention to the coolant also - not something that I generally fussed-over in previous cars. John T

Reply to
_jj_