2002 VUE

I might be purchasing a 2002 Saturn VUE...How dependable are they...My wife and I owned a toyota corolla. She was involved in an accident the other day. An 18 wheeler hit a pickup truck and that pick up truck went into the back of our car and it looks like its totaled...we had close to 130,000 great miles on that car and the engine still purred.

Is the 2003 Saturn VUE a good purchase..MY wife and I want a dependable

4WD SUV.

Thanks

Rich

Reply to
rich

----- Original Message ----- From: "rich" Newsgroups: rec.autos.makers.saturn Sent: Monday, February 14, 2005 9:21 PM Subject: 2002 VUE

I have a 2003 4 cylinder Vue with the VTi transmission. I have been happy with it. However, to be honest, I think I prefer my Sister's 2001 Escape. The Vue rides better, but the Escape is more comfortable and quieter. My Vue gets better gas mileage, but hers is a V-6 and is much faster. I've had mine back to the dealer for a few small problems, and one major concern. Her's has not been back except for routine service. My Vue cost a little less (it is AWD, hers is FWD). If I did it over again, I'd probably buy the Escape, but I am not looking for a "do over" at this point. The Vue is very easy to maintain. I like the durability of the plastic panels. The Vue does seem to waste a lot of space somehow. I have a friend with 5 speed 4 cylinder Vue's. He seems satisfied. Judging by used Vue prices, they are a bargin. Vue's are very popular in my area (Raleigh, NC), but used prices are still very low. The Vue has great NHTSA crash results.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

I have an '02 Vue - AWD V6. We got a great deal on it because my mom-in-law works for GM and the dealer was offering lots off in incentives.

It's a decent vehicle to drive - pretty comfortable on long trips. It does very well in the snow and sand. (I don't know about the front-wheel drive model, though).

The variable transmission smaller engine model seemed too anemic for me; the V6 ain't all that wonderful, either, but it's tolerable; there's no problem going up steep hills or passing other cars.

Reliability is a huge factor for me. I have owned Hondas in the past and have had -no- problems with them. The Vue has been in the shop a couple times (wheel bearing, horn croaked). Everythin was covered by the warranty, of course. I guess in the relative scheme of things it would qualify as pretty reliable.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Talley

Brian: What were your wheel bearing symptoms? I've got an '03 FWD V6. I was hearing some rattling on sharp right-hand curves. That stopped, but now I'm hearing a droning noise at highway speeds.

Reply to
Chuck

I heard a very noticable (I wouldn't say "deafening" but it was loud) droning noise at highway speeds. It was the rear passenger wheel bearing. This problem cropped up very early on - under 10k miles. I have not had any other wheel bearings go.

I had a creaking problem when turning sharply at low speeds (forgot to mention that problem in my last note) at around 25k-30k miles. I don't recall the exact problem, but it took three visits to get it fixed (twice when it was turning to the right side, once for turning to the left).

All in all, I have asked for one repair or another at just about each scheduled oil change. I'm coming up to my 36k change. My warranty has expired. I'm a bit nervous.

The Vue is a nice vehicle in many respects. But if it starts costing me money to keep it on the road, I will ditch it quickly and not look back (at Saturn); I'll go back to Honda. I would *like* to stick with an American car, but the loyalty goes both ways: build a car at least as good as the competition, and we can do business.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Talley

Thanx Brian - my feelings also. I was getting that creaking too, but less since it got cold (bushings?). I think my droning is coming from the front, but I'm not positive. I'm out of warranty so I'm debating taking it in, or trying a DIY.

Reply to
Chuck

Some Hondas are more American than some Saturns, aren't they?

-DanD

Reply to
Dan Duncan

Not really... Honda doesnt pay the same taxes nor nearly as much tax as US "based" companies have to so it doesnt matter if they are "assembled" here.

Reply to
blah blah

That's absolutely true in that they many are manufactured here by Americans. The question is where the lion's share of the revenue goes: does it stay in America or go to Japan? (I don't honestly know the answer.)

Reply to
Brian Talley