2003 Ion Brake Shaking/Shuddering

I have a 2003 Ion 3, with about 35k. I've had a few random issues with the car since I got it in October of 2005. Ignition switch, seatbelt replacement, DRL problems not covered by the recall...

A couple of weeks after I got my car, I notice a shuddering/shaking sensation. I was coming off of the freeway, in a light rain. As I was braking, I noticed a shaking sensation that was clearly coming from the front wheels. It happened sporatically a few times here and there... usually in the rain, and always coming from higher speeds like a freeway offramp. I took it into my preferred mechanic (NOT Saturn) for an oil change, and had them take a look at the brakes. They said my brakes looked great. These guys have never ever steered me wrong. So I was a bit miffed, but put it at the back of my mind, it only seemed to happen when it was raining, but even then it was very rarely. Which being in Seattle, is pretty typical.

The last several weeks this has become a more regular occurance. The shaking/shuddering is far more intense than it used to be. And I've even noticed the steering wheel shaking right along with it. It happens regardless of weather, and seems to be consistent if I'm braking from 35mph or higher. I don't recall if the steering wheel shook before or not.

I haven't taken it in anywhere yet. I wanted to look for information and try to get some insight from other Saturn drivers before I do. I am really trying to avoid going to Saturn period, but I wanna give my other guys a little more to work with in terms of a description. I thought I'd try here, all of my 'random' issues, aside from the seatbelt, I've found info about other people experiencing the same thing on here, and have gotten the dealer to fix them for free.

If you have any insight, or have experienced this, your input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Reply to
Jackie M

If the shuddering feels like pulsing when the brakes are applied and stops if they are released, then you most likely need to either re-surface the rotors and/or replace the rotors and the front disc pads too. Warpage of the front rotors is a pretty common occurrence in many makes and models of vehicles these days, Saturn included. In addition, even if the rotors are good, the surface of the pads themselves can become irregularly shaped from the severe heat they dissipate and cause this to occur as well.

If the brake pads and rotors "looked" good, then it may have been possible that someone saved a few bucks by only replacing the pads and not re-surfacing the rotors causing the situation you are seeing. At 35K and 4 years of age, and assuming some local driving (not all expressway), I'd have expected the front disc brake pads to be in need of replacement...the fact that the mechanic said they looked OK tells me they were likely replaced recently.

Good luck and post your findings.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

just leting you know I have a '03 Ion too,while I ve not had shuddering of my rotors,I've had other issues,the tires get the crap beat out of them,theres 57k on mine now,the engines been good,electrical good,has a raccoon hit your front end & break almost everything up there? GD lil rats~!.

Reply to
teem

So they have finally figured out that my rotors are warped. How they got warped is a mystery, but they're warped.

Reply to
Jackie M

Jackie,

How they got warped should not be a "mystery" to anyone.

Front brake rotors get warped due to excessive heat due to stopping immediately followed by the pressure placed on them by the hot disc pads at stop. This is "normal" for any vehicle made since about 1980 since the automotive engineers have reduced the thickness of the rotors in an effort to shed weight and increase MPG. I do not recall you saying how many miles you had on the vehicle, if it is an automatic transmission, if you live in a mountainous area, or possibly tow anything since any of these will tend to increase the strain on the brakes. In addition, uneven and super high torquing of the wheel lug nuts which occurs regularly at most service garages also accelerates this phenomenon.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman