2003 Ion ecotec 2.2L oil capacity?

I just changed the oil in my daughters 2.2L ion. It took 6qts. of oil to read full on the dip stick. I looked it up in the owners manual and they say the capacity is 5qts. I looked through google and found a couple of web pages that said the 2.2L Ion needs 6qts. of oil. Is it a GM mistake printing 5qt capacity in the manual when it really needs 6?

MJ

Reply to
My Name

I think it depends on how the car was drained. At a dealership they would have lifts/oil racks. The car stays level and a good deal of oil stays in the pan especially when they're in a hurry. At home you would often only lift the front end which would shift more oil back towards the drain plug and more time may be given for it to drain.

Reply to
Blah Blah

I have two IONs - mine has a Vti and my wife's has the 5 speed automatic.

Both of these only take 5 quarts when I change the oil. Hmmmm...

Reply to
Kirk Kohnen

It should only take 5 quarts.. However it does seem to take a while for the oil to all drain down after the engine is shut off, so if you ran the engine after filling and then checked it again you may think it's lower than it is.

Reply to
Robert Hancock

Reply to
My Name