2003 Saturn Ion brake problem

I've got a 2003 Saturn Ion that my wife mainly drives. We bought the car new. Still under warranty. Anyways there was a problem with some grinding noise coming from the front of the vehicle which I figured might be the brakes. Dealer confirmed the problems are the brakes and that one of the rotors got chewed up as well. This car is not driven harshly as she mainly uses it to shuttle our kids around. Mileage is on a bit above 14,000 which is the part that bugs me about the brake pads wearing so quickly. Dealer wants a chunk of change to fix it. Isn't this something that they should cover under warranty? I know things like brakes generally aren't but on a less than 3 year old car with 14K miles seems kinda odd the brakes would go. Worse comes to worse I guess I will take it to some other service place to have it fixed. Any suggestions/tips would be appreciated. Thanks

Reply to
synergy
14,000 miles and the brake pads are shot? Either someone rides the brake and drives two footed (both left and right front brakes are in the same condition) or I'd look for a sticking caliper (only one is bad). I'd also make sure the rear brakes are properly adjusted since they should be doing 30-40% of the braking too. Good luck.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman