2003 Vue CVT transmission noise

Threaded View
Has anyone experienced a growling sound from the CVT transmission, usually when
warm and decelerating at about 8 to 12 MPH?
I had this problem with the first transmission in the Vue, Now it's returning in
the replacement transmission the dealer installed.  The dealer's only remedy is
to add a can of transmission additive and tell me to drive the car about 6,000
miles!  Let me know if there is a fix, or if this is an isolated problem.

Re: 2003 Vue CVT transmission noise
I'm getting a similar issue with my 2003 VUE.  Just started happening.  I
was assuming it was a bearing going in the front end.  We took it in to have
it looked at (under warranty of course) and were told that they can't look
at it for like 2 weeks.

Here's hoping it ISN'T a bearing as I'm going down the highway at 100 KM/h

when warm and decelerating at about 8 to 12 MPH?
returning in the replacement transmission the dealer installed.  The
dealer's only remedy is to add a can of transmission additive and tell me to
drive the car about 6,000 miles!  Let me know if there is a fix, or if this
is an isolated problem.

Re: 2003 Vue CVT transmission noise
There is a TSB for this exact problem, "Low Speed Coast Grinding Noise
and/or Hesitation at Vehicle Launch (Install New TCM Calibration)", bulletin
number #03-07-30-051. The correction is to add a unit of DEX-CVT additive
(as it sounds like they did) and install new transmission calibration
software (which they may or may not have done). If that doesn't correct the
problem, they're supposed to perform a line pressure check to see if another
problem exists.

BTW, the reason they give for the noise is "The variable drive belt is
commanded to a ratio that causes a unique load on the drive belt, which
generates belt noise during a coast down."

--
Robert Hancock      Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Re: 2003 Vue CVT transmission noise

What is the date of the TSB? Is there a production date that the TSB
applies to? Would you expect a dealer to have applied the TSB to new
Vue sold after the TSB was released? Any idea if this is a problem
from day one, or does it show up over time?

Ed

Re: 2003 Vue CVT transmission noise
Thanks for the info on the TSB.  Both CVT's in my Vue started out fine, the
noise developed with time and mileage.

Re: 2003 Vue CVT transmission noise
The date on the bulletin is October 2003, just says that it applies to
2003-2004 ION and VUE with VTi transmission.

I don't imagine they would have applied that fix to new vehicles, unless
they were made after the new transmission calibration came out (which would
have been sometime in the 2004 model year)..

--
Robert Hancock      Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Re: 2003 Vue CVT transmission noise
My CVT was supposedly replaced and then the new one had the chain and cones
replaced.  The noise is an irritation, and seems to be coming back again.  I
think the additive they use has a lifespam of 3000 miles.  What is strange, is
that in neutral after warmup, I can get the same noise to occur.  Saturn
extended my warranty to 5yr-60,000 mile.  However I think the durability issue
or resale will be compromised.  Has anyone spoken to 2004 cvt drivers as to
their experience?  We're very happy with the vehicle and I bought a 2003 manual
trans Vue also.

Re: 2003 Vue CVT transmission noise
If it occurs in neutral, it's not a mechanical noise like that. In park or
neutral, the transmission fluctuates the hydraulic pressure in order to
clean the solenoids. There was recently a bulletin released with some new
transmission software for the VTi that reduces the line pressure used in
this process to reduce the hydraulic noise created, which it describes as a
hiss or chirp noise.

--
Robert Hancock      Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Re: 2003 Vue CVT transmission noise
Well folks... it looks like I found this post too late.

It seems that if you DON'T get this fixed, the transmission can have a
catastrophic failure (ie, quit working).  Apparently the "belt" in the
transmission will fail.

Another symptom to watch out for is that the transmission will hesitate or maybe
"feel like the tires are slipping on wet pavement" but as the problem progresses
it gets to the point where it will not pull at all.

My Vue is in the shop right now and they are "trying to decide" if the new
transmission is going to be covered under my extended waranty (the Vue has about
40K miles on it).

BTW, our Vue was making this noise FROM THE TIME WE PICKED IT UP AT THE
DEALERSHIP!!!  They told us at the time that it was "normal".....

Re: 2003 Vue CVT transmission noise
...more nails being driven into the CVT's coffin  -  wish it would have
worked as I've liked the concept since I heard about in on a Subaru Justy a
bazillion years ago.  Honda has it (or had it) on one of their models, never
hear anything about it and don't know one person who has one...

catastrophic failure (ie, quit working).  Apparently the "belt" in the
transmission will fail.
maybe "feel like the tires are slipping on wet pavement" but as the problem
progresses it gets to the point where it will not pull at all.
transmission is going to be covered under my extended waranty (the Vue has
about 40K miles on it).
DEALERSHIP!!!  They told us at the time that it was "normal".....

Re: 2003 Vue CVT transmission noise
I'm not quite sure.

I have an ION 3 Quad Coupe with CVT. About 16k miles, works fine.

I do want to get that hesitation from a stop thing fixed - it's acting like
the gear ratio is so high it lugs the engine. But, I've never noticed
evidence of a slipping.

I'm wondering if the weight / power match for the CVT and the ION is a good
one, and the CVT / VUE is not.

never
or
problem
new

Re: 2003 Vue CVT transmission noise
Same reason, in past years, that a standard trans was used instead of a
autobox...  I was just really hoping GM had it bug-free before going into
production.  What do I know, I don't build cars?!?!

like
good
Justy
hesitate
has
THE

Re: 2003 Vue CVT transmission noise
On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 20:52:20 -0800, "Jonnie Santos"

Honda uses it on the Civic and Insight and it works very well.  Nissan
uses it in some of their near-luxury models in Japan and I think it's
in the US now.  Don't know about reliability on those but I haven't
heard anything bad.  It is a different design from the belted models.

Re: 2003 Vue CVT transmission noise
BTW, there is some additional info on this here:

http://www.cartrackers.com/Forums/live/NewForumTalk/113.html

Re: 2003 Vue CVT transmission noise
Apologies if this was already posted . . .
http://www.newsday.com/mynews/ny-swvu3689649feb29,0,1668083.story

Re: 2003 Vue CVT transmission noise
Hadn't seen the link - thanks...

Site Timeline