2003 Vue CVT transmission noise

Has anyone experienced a growling sound from the CVT transmission, usually when warm and decelerating at about 8 to 12 MPH? I had this problem with the first transmission in the Vue, Now it's returning in the replacement transmission the dealer installed. The dealer's only remedy is to add a can of transmission additive and tell me to drive the car about 6,000 miles! Let me know if there is a fix, or if this is an isolated problem.

Reply to
kemosabe

I'm getting a similar issue with my 2003 VUE. Just started happening. I was assuming it was a bearing going in the front end. We took it in to have it looked at (under warranty of course) and were told that they can't look at it for like 2 weeks.

Here's hoping it ISN'T a bearing as I'm going down the highway at 100 KM/h

when warm and decelerating at about 8 to 12 MPH?

returning in the replacement transmission the dealer installed. The dealer's only remedy is to add a can of transmission additive and tell me to drive the car about 6,000 miles! Let me know if there is a fix, or if this is an isolated problem.

Reply to
Vidar

There is a TSB for this exact problem, "Low Speed Coast Grinding Noise and/or Hesitation at Vehicle Launch (Install New TCM Calibration)", bulletin number #03-07-30-051. The correction is to add a unit of DEX-CVT additive (as it sounds like they did) and install new transmission calibration software (which they may or may not have done). If that doesn't correct the problem, they're supposed to perform a line pressure check to see if another problem exists.

BTW, the reason they give for the noise is "The variable drive belt is commanded to a ratio that causes a unique load on the drive belt, which generates belt noise during a coast down."

Reply to
Robert Hancock

What is the date of the TSB? Is there a production date that the TSB applies to? Would you expect a dealer to have applied the TSB to new Vue sold after the TSB was released? Any idea if this is a problem from day one, or does it show up over time?

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Thanks for the info on the TSB. Both CVT's in my Vue started out fine, the noise developed with time and mileage.

Reply to
kemosabe

The date on the bulletin is October 2003, just says that it applies to

2003-2004 ION and VUE with VTi transmission.

I don't imagine they would have applied that fix to new vehicles, unless they were made after the new transmission calibration came out (which would have been sometime in the 2004 model year)..

Reply to
Robert Hancock

My CVT was supposedly replaced and then the new one had the chain and cones replaced. The noise is an irritation, and seems to be coming back again. I think the additive they use has a lifespam of 3000 miles. What is strange, is that in neutral after warmup, I can get the same noise to occur. Saturn extended my warranty to 5yr-60,000 mile. However I think the durability issue or resale will be compromised. Has anyone spoken to 2004 cvt drivers as to their experience? We're very happy with the vehicle and I bought a 2003 manual trans Vue also.

Reply to
arneadler

If it occurs in neutral, it's not a mechanical noise like that. In park or neutral, the transmission fluctuates the hydraulic pressure in order to clean the solenoids. There was recently a bulletin released with some new transmission software for the VTi that reduces the line pressure used in this process to reduce the hydraulic noise created, which it describes as a hiss or chirp noise.

Reply to
Robert Hancock

Well folks... it looks like I found this post too late.

It seems that if you DON'T get this fixed, the transmission can have a catastrophic failure (ie, quit working). Apparently the "belt" in the transmission will fail.

Another symptom to watch out for is that the transmission will hesitate or maybe "feel like the tires are slipping on wet pavement" but as the problem progresses it gets to the point where it will not pull at all.

My Vue is in the shop right now and they are "trying to decide" if the new transmission is going to be covered under my extended waranty (the Vue has about

40K miles on it).

BTW, our Vue was making this noise FROM THE TIME WE PICKED IT UP AT THE DEALERSHIP!!! They told us at the time that it was "normal".....

Reply to
Eeyore

...more nails being driven into the CVT's coffin - wish it would have worked as I've liked the concept since I heard about in on a Subaru Justy a bazillion years ago. Honda has it (or had it) on one of their models, never hear anything about it and don't know one person who has one...

catastrophic failure (ie, quit working). Apparently the "belt" in the transmission will fail.

maybe "feel like the tires are slipping on wet pavement" but as the problem progresses it gets to the point where it will not pull at all.

transmission is going to be covered under my extended waranty (the Vue has about 40K miles on it).

DEALERSHIP!!! They told us at the time that it was "normal".....

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

I'm not quite sure.

I have an ION 3 Quad Coupe with CVT. About 16k miles, works fine.

I do want to get that hesitation from a stop thing fixed - it's acting like the gear ratio is so high it lugs the engine. But, I've never noticed evidence of a slipping.

I'm wondering if the weight / power match for the CVT and the ION is a good one, and the CVT / VUE is not.

Reply to
Kirk Kohnen

Same reason, in past years, that a standard trans was used instead of a autobox... I was just really hoping GM had it bug-free before going into production. What do I know, I don't build cars?!?!

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

BTW, there is some additional info on this here:

Eeyore

Honda uses it on the Civic and Insight and it works very well. Nissan uses it in some of their near-luxury models in Japan and I think it's in the US now. Don't know about reliability on those but I haven't heard anything bad. It is a different design from the belted models.

Reply to
satyr

Apologies if this was already posted . . .

Chasberry

Hadn't seen the link - thanks...

Reply to
Jonnie Santos