2004 L-300 Running Hot

The engine seems to be Hot all the time, real HOT. But the temp gauge is showing a normal reading. Should I be concerned about this, or is it normal for this car? Thanks!!

Reply to
WGRG3

If the guage shows normal, what makes you think it is running hot?

--=20 =EF=BB=BFKevin M. Keller Director, News & Promotions Saturn Performance Club

Reply to
Kevin

]2, 2007, 9:25pm (PDT+2) From: ] snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (Kevin)

]If the guage shows normal, what makes you ] think it is running hot?

Well the engine will feel super Hot after just a short trip, and it takes a long time to cool down, Like two hours after just a ten mile trip. This can't be normal, can it?

Reply to
WGRG3

Sure. It seems to me that you're worrying about nothing. Unless you have a pyrometer reading that shows the temperature guage is wrong. I'd just stop worrying.

My S-series (all 3 of them) will be warmed to their normal operating temp on the guage with a short trip to the store & back (3 blocks each wa= y).

--=20 =EF=BB=BFKevin M. Keller Director, News & Promotions Saturn Performance Club

Reply to
Kevin

My '01 lw300 stays hot for quite some time. Is it much hotter on a longer trip? Much of the heat may just be coming off of the upstream catalytic converters which are right up near the motor. AFIK the temperature gauge reads from the Colant temperature sensor (CTS). If the sensor is not reading right you may be getting the wrong indication. Possible things to do: Check the coolant to make sure that it doesn't need a flush and refill. Have someone with a scanner readout the CTS temperature and compare to a physical temperature reading (with a thermometer or similar). Check that the fans are working properly.

As I recall, you also had a problem with a noisy engine. I don't recall reading anything from you whether it was resolved.

Reply to
Oppie

]Aug 6, 2007, 2:57pm (PDT+7) From: ] snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Oppie)

]My '01 lw300 stays hot for quite some time. Is ] it much hotter on a longer trip? Much of the ] heat may just be coming off of the upstream ] catalytic converters which are right up near ] the motor. AFIK the temperature gauge reads ] from the Colant temperature sensor (CTS). If ] the sensor is not reading right you may be ] getting the wrong indication.

You might be right about the catalytic converter there is also a lot of heat coming from under the passenger seat. When you open that door you can feel a rush of heat. I guess CC are normaly very hot, right? So the heat coming from them should not be a problem.

]As I recall, you also had a problem with a noisy ] engine. I don't recall reading anything from ] you whether it was resolved.

That turned out to be my front tires! I found out when I had them rotated and all of a sudden the noise was in the back of the car. My engine is quiet now, all the noise is in the back of the car. LOL!! I should have the tires replaced but there is still a lot of thread on them, and less than 30,000 miles.

You have a pretty good memory!

Reply to
WGRG3

As long as you don't get a SES lamp, I wouldn't wory about the Cats. If you get a flashing SES, there is something wrong that will overheat the cats (misfire or uncontrollable rich mixture). The comination of upstream and downstream O2 sensors and all the diagnostics will tell you if there is anything that would damage the cats or overheat them.

Have the tires inspected and rebalanced. That may be the ticket. An out of balance wheel can only get worse. You might also consider a 4 wheel alignment. Saturn charged me $100 for the alignment. (anywhere you get an alignment, make sure that they check toe, camber and caster. Most places check toe only - toe and go as it is referred to...)

My wife would beg to differ with you ;-)

Reply to
Oppie