2004 Saturn L300 wagon

Is the power steering adjustable at all on this model. I've checked the tire pressure and may replace the junk Firestone tires but I was wondering if it might be possible to increase low speed assist. Car handles like a truck at low and moderate speeds.

Reply to
Art

Steering assist is not adjustable afik. My 2002 lw300 has stiff steering too but I never thought it objectionable. Yes, it is stiffer than some other vehicles and far better than no power assist at all. I recommend that you ask at your Saturn service, there might be a TSB or something that they can tweak. Please write back if you find something.

Reply to
Oppie

Will do. Also considering replacing the original FIrestones, in the front at least to see if that helps.

Reply to
Art

I increased tire pressure to 36 psi. Car label says to use 30 but Firestones can handle 44. Made a significant improvement in fact the ride is better too. This car has 16 inch chrome alloy wheels. Have not been on the highway with it yet.

Reply to
Art

From what I was taught, you shouldnt run a tire less than 80% of its max "cold" pressure rating. 35 would be 80% of 44. You could probably go on up to 40psi. I've always ran my tires (44psi's) at their max pressure ratings with no problems. You can get a little better gas mileage that way.

snipped-for-privacy@h.blah

Reply to
Blah blah

I assume you have checked the power steering reservoir? Early L-series vehicles had some TSB's for leaky power steering at the steering rack. But something isn't right - mine steers fine.

Dana C. Rohleder Port Kent, NY

Reply to
Dana Rohleder

Thanks for the tip. Looked under the hood yesterday. Also no leaks on garage floor.

Reply to
Art