2007 Advanced Audio Balance problem

To all out there, I recently purchased a 2007 Saturn Vue with the advanced audio cd/mp3/xm radio system. I am finding that the sound is not centered in the vehicle. I have to fade the speakers forward about halfway from center to front as well as balance the speakers from center half way to the left. The right channel is slightly louder than the left. I did not have to do this in my 2003 Vue. (Granted the upgraded sound systems are not the same in both vehicles.)

I know some will say that it depends on what side you are sitting on. Believe me. If you sit in the driver's seat, the right speakers are louder than the left when balanced at the center mark. If you sit in the passenger seat, you really don't even notice sound coming from the left speakers. I also tried the radio, xm and all different cd's and had the same issue to varying degrees.

I brought this to the attention of the dealership. The service manager sat with me and he could hear what I have explained. We sat in another Vue with the same stereo setup and it sounded the same way. They offered no solution but it seems to be the way the stereo functions.

It seems like there is something wrong with the head unit to not be centered properly. I have owned several vehicles and two of them were Saturns prior to the 2007. I have never had an issue with the sound system like I am with this.

Can anyone offer suggestions or have you experienced this as well?

I am writing my satisfaction survey to Saturn and I am making a point to describe this issue and insist that someone contact me about it. They get a 'VERY DISAPPOINTED' check for satisfaction with the vehicle. I could see choosing a basic stereo and having some issues with sound, but this is supposed to be the 'top of the line' sound system for the vechicle and it is proving to be less than adequate.

Reply to
Coasten1

Nothing against you personally, really, but as it seems that you are perhaps an audiophile, you may have noticed the difference in the sound from the basic VUE radio?

I am not an audiophile, but have a decent ear and have noticed that the rear sub will tend to set the balance off. And um, yea, where you sit will affect what you hear in any car. The only way to get around this is to purchase a stereo with surround sound, which Saturn does not have.

Trashing that poor salesman's survey is nothing short of mean spirited. He didn't build the car and is in no way responsible for how the stereo sounds. If it's that important to you, you really should have carefully tested out the radio - the same as you tested out the vehicle - before - you bought the car. If the salesman refused to let you do so, then blame it on him, if not, then shame on you for taking it out on him.

Reply to
marx404

I have had many units over the years that didn't sound the way I wanted at default settings. Personally I have found that using the balance and fader allows me to adjust this. I can also adjust the standard sound with the base and treble settings or with the built in mixer if one is provided.

I have always considered stereo adjustments to be basic adjustments to tailor the vehicle to my needs... much like the seat being able to move back an forth, the mirrors moving side to side and up and down and the a/c having a temperature control feature. I don't quite understand why you would be very disappointed because you had to turn a knob. If the engine fell out on the hwy I would be very disappointed.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

I'm not taking it out on him and I have other reasons to trash the salesman if I wanted to. That is not the issue. I have a musically trained ear and if I am fiddling with the stereo's settings, there is something wrong.

Reply to
Coasten1

I don't disagree with having to adjust trebble and bass to fine tune to you listening needs, but I am more concerned that the left and right balance is not centered when it is in the center. That means the output to each side of the car is not the same. In my opinion, as far as this setting, you should only have to adjust this if you 'want' to. Not because you 'have' to.

Reply to
Coasten1

It sounds like there is definitely a problem with your system. Most of the newer stereos are using a variant of either the Sanyo LA3400 or the Philips TDA1591 as the FM stereo decoder chip. Could be a problem with the line amp, the power amp, or the speakers may have been wired incorrectly. I remember once, a friend of mine had a stereo installed in his vehicle and the installer wired the speakers out of phase. The best way to check the unit out is to pop it onto a test bence and hook it up to an FM stereo signal generator. A Sound Technology Model 1000A will do the trick. For starters, set the generator in mono mode.Next, hook up the speaker outputs to 8 Ohm non-inductive load resistors and monitor the output with an AC Voltmeter. The outputs should be within .5dB of each other. After this is done, set the stereo generator in stereo mode, left audio, and measure the voltage of the left channel. Repeat the test, this time setting the stereo generator in stereo mod, right audio, measuring the voltage of the right channel of the stereo unit. The channels should be within .5dB of each other. This will rule out any problems with the car stereo. If no problem is found, The speaker wiring in the auto is at fault. It sounds like this is a new car, so if you don't mind the inconvenience the dealer should be able to pull the stereo and send it to their repair depot. I have been repairing electronic equipment for the last 30 years, and I have never seen this kind of problem with a properly working system.

Pete

"Coasten1" wrote in message news:256dnT9OaanPiLfbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
Pete KE9OA