92 Saturn - Disable Idiot Lights

How can I temporarily disable the dash lights for seat belts, service engine soon, and keep the other dash instrutments working?

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Often it is a plug under the seat which can be unplugged, other times it is a specific fuse that feeds the sensor.

Not being familiar with your yr/model I would say check the owners manual first, in the section on the fuses.

If that doesn't yield results, look under the drivers seat for said plug.

Reply to
solo

If your service engine soon light is lit, something is up. Read the codes to find out what's wrong before deciding to ignore it.

If you still don't want to see the lights lit, use a bit of black electrical tape over that part of the gauge cluster.

Lane [ l a n e @ p a i r . c o m ]

Reply to
Lane

What are you failing on the state inspection? >:)

Reply to
Philip Nasadowski

Saturn service tech told me the "service engine soon" intermittently lights because the seatbelt harness will not retract into the locked position because it hangs. Had the car serviced last month and it checked out ok. I've got to take the car in for an emission test. They won't test it if any warning lights are on. I can't get the seatbelt harness fixed right now because of the cost. After Chirstmas I'll get it fixed.

Mike

Mike

See response to Lane.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

The service engine soon light is not connected into the seatbelt system - the problem will be something else. Try checking for diagnostic codes (see

or my web page below).

Also, unless they're entirely stupid, they're going to check that the light comes on as it should when the engine is first started, so just disabling the light won't work.

Reply to
Robert Hancock

Uh huh. BTW, he seat belt system and the SES light have nothing to do with each other. The SES light goes on ONLY to indicate an emissions system failure, real or precieved by the computer.

It's a '92. You need only a paperclip to read the codes (which resets the light, BTW). Read the codes, figure out what the computer's twitching about. Could be as simple as a bad sensor or loose wire.

Sure. It'll drive just ducky with the light on. Because the light has almost zilch to do with how the engine's performing HP/driveability wise, and everything to do with the emissions system.

So? If you disable the light, you'll probbably fail the test because either the light didn't come on when the guy started the car, or because the car just can't pass emissions.

Sure they will. The SES light check only applies to OBDII cars. You'res isn't. And the light goes on when you turn the key anyway.

Unrelated problem. And the emissions tester can are less about your seat belt light.

Reply to
Philip Nasadowski

I'll check the trouble codes.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Another Saturn tech fish story. It didn't make sense to me either.

The testing documentation states they won't test w/ SES lights on.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

But does that ONLY apply to OBDII cars? In just about anywhere I've seen the idiot light check, it does.

Reply to
Philip Nasadowski

What's an OBDI car?

Mike