92 Saturn Engine Cooling Fan

I am having a problem with the engine cooling fan on a 1992 Saturn SL2. The fan works fine when the air conditioner is on, however the fan will not switch on when the coolant gets hot (as reported by the temp guage). I have already replaced the engine coolant temp switch and checked the relay with no luck. I also have codes 26 and 32 stored on the PCM, but I'm not sure if there is any connection. Thanks.

Reply to
the_brewmaster

On a '92, there are two sensors. The single wire sensor is for the gauge, the double wire sensor is for the PCM. Did you replace the correct one? Just asking...

James

Reply to
James1549

I had a 93, and the codes 26 and 32 were my EGR solenoid and valve. Also, my cooling fan would not operate as well, the Saturn dealer had a look when they replaced my EGR valve, and it simply was corrosion at the back of the relay under the underhood fusepanel.

Reply to
Logan Parker

Where is the PCM?

Reply to
Gary Compton

Under the dash, between the steering column and driver's door.

Reply to
Gary DelGrego

I've been having problems with the cooling fan operation and it was recommended that I clean the relay under the underhood fune panel. I'm not quite sure how to remove the panel to get under it to access the connectors. Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
the_brewmaster

I've been having problems with the cooling fan operation and it was recommended that I clean the relay under the underhood fune panel. I'm not quite sure how to remove the panel to get under it to access the connectors. Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
the_brewmaster

I'm not positive, but I think the intent wasn't for you to remove the entire block, but just to pull the relay. The UH fuse box is near the airbox/airfilter housing and the battery on the driver's side. If you find and pull the fan relay, cleaning the pins on the relay and the matching connectors, I think that should cover the recommendation you got.

The fan motor could simply be wearing out.

-rj

98SL2
Reply to
richard hornsby

Reply to
Alex Marcuzzi

Ditto to Alex's comments. And I'll add this: turn on the air conditioner and see if the fan comes on. On my Saturn, and I think most cars, the fan runs continuously when the air is on. If the fan comes on, that proves that both the fan motor and the relay are good. The problem may be with the coolant temperature sensor, a $20.00 item (approx). On my car it screws into the block on the drivers side of the engine. You need the two wire one that interacts with the Power Control Module, not the one wire one that controls the temp indicator on the instrument panel. Suggestion: buy a Chilton's. It will show the exact location and how to get to it.

If the fan fails to turn on with the air on, then the problem could be either the fan motor or the relay. You can test the fan by running a 12 volt source directly to its connector.

As to the relay, I think the person who told you to "clean the relay" meant for you to pull it out and inspect the tines that plug into the socket and to scour off any corrosion found there. If what you meant was you don't know how to take the lid off of the fuse box, I'm afraid that I have to recommend that you stop what you are doing at once and take the car to garage.

Good luck Gary

Reply to
Gary Compton

Thanks for all the replies. I think I misunderstood what was recommended. The fan does come on when the A/C is turned on, and I had already tested the relay. The engine cooling fan comes on at different times at different temps (based on the temp guage). Since the problem (if it is a problem) is intermittent I thought it might be a corroded/loose connection but couldn't find any. Since I had never seen the underside of the fuse panel I though maybe there were some connectors under there. I guess not.

Reply to
the_brewmaster

My fan was working intermittently and a bit slow. One of the windings on the fan motor was shot. Maybe some other part in the motor. $25 later and a new fan from the auto part store and it was fixed. Oh, it did take about an hour to pull the old motor and put in the new one.

Reply to
Mike

That set of symptoms is consistent with the brushes being worn out.

Those motors are wear items - they're sealed but they have brushes that wear out.

recommended.

Reply to
Kirk Kohnen