92 saturn has problems starting

i have a 92 saturn (an oldie i know) lately it's been having many problems starting, if i keep trying to start it it will eventually start after many tries. i had this problem 2 weeks ago and took it to the shop and got a new starter cause that's what i was told the problem was but it's doing it now and it gets harder and harder,i've had to jump it twice but after i jump it it's fine, i don't think it's the battery, it's only 2 years old. please help, i love my saturn!

Reply to
LucyGee

I think before anyone can help you with your questions, we have to know about the condition of your battery. Post voltages, before cranking the engine, after starting the engine. With these two, people can rule out battery or charging system problems.

hth,

tom @

The Real Tom

i was told the alternator is in perfect condition and i had system charge test and it showed the battery was fine, i'm thinking it might just be loose wires or something like that

Reply to
LucyGee

Has the fuel pump been changed? They get old and worn out. What about the filter? Slow starting is usually a fuel problem. While most people think the injectors are the reason, it's really the pump.

Reply to
Nobody U. Know

yeah, i just don't know where to even start, this past time, it wouldn't even start at all, wasn't even slow, i waited like an hour and it didn't start, had to jump it

Reply to
LucyGee

Whoops, re-read posts. Take a voltage off the battery when it's running and when it's off. You can use a multimeter and just touch them to the posts on the battery. Read that and report it. Off, it should be 12V. On, it should be 14V. Does the dome light work when the car wont start?

Reply to
Nobody U. Know

ok, i can do that but i have no idea what a multimeter is. is it something a friend would have or would i most likely have to buy one? also, the lights and everything work when it won't start, nothings dim, radio will play. all that good stuff

Reply to
LucyGee

Sounds like the coolant temp sensor. Very typical problem if it is hard to start and run when cold, but runs ok when warmed up. (not the one for the gauge, it's the one that sends coolant temp to the ECU)

Reply to
Mike

A multimeter is a device for measuring voltage, amperage, etc. It is a common tool for any mechanic. My first stab at it is a grounding problem at the alternator. Most alternators, Chevy included, have a strap on the altenator that is gounded somewhere. This is also true of the starter, but the alternator work makes me suspect there first.

When testing the alternator, I bet the car is running (good ground). The test off may show a steady drain.

Reply to
Nobody U. Know