'92 Saturn SL1 Rear Brakes Creating Groaning Noises

Hi, I've got a '92 SL1 the rear brakes sometimes make a loud groaning sound when the brakes engage. Any idea what's causing this noise?

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Without knowing anything more (like when the rear brakes shoes were last inspected and/or replaced), I'd suspect that the brake shoes need replacing since the braking material is too thin and the rivets to the steel plates are now permanently scoring your drums.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

The barkes were replaced about four months ago but I managed to drive the car several miles w/ the hand brake set to on. . . . . I'll get the brakes checked.

Reply to
Tom