92 sl 2 sedan, transmission or clutch?

I have a 92 sl 2 sedan, with sohc 4 cyl. and 5 speed trans.The transmission or clutch(?) wont engage the engine. I raised the car up off the floor and put it in gear to see if the wheels would move and they would not. I tried to spin the left side wheel to see if the right side would spin and it would not.No axle movement or anything. It seems to be going in gear sound wise( i can hear a click when i shift). If I have to replace it , how hard is it too take out and put another one in?....Thanks .. Mark

Reply to
MARK

It is a differential failure, and will be pretty expensive. It is part of the trans. and fails somewhat often on S series cars..... Sorry, but good luck with it....

Reply to
TheLastDonSC2

It'll be REALLY expensive if the pin in the carrier popped out and started digging into the case. You'll get *no* real warning, save for the speedometer on the flake for a few days prior.

Start hunting for a used transmission, and yeah, it's not a fun swap :(

Reply to
Philip Nasadowski

Reply to
MARK

it CAN be pulled without pulling the engine, but it's a ton easier to yank both out thru the top with a cherry picker... save yourself the headache.

Brian

Reply to
SixthSphere

Reply to
MARK

Well ,I got the trans/motor out and replaced the clutch , put it back in ,and it ran and went into gear well. after finally getting all the wires back in order, a couple of other problems came up.

1.the hose that goes to the gas canister on the right side of the engine compartment, the one that comes around on the firewall ... where does it hook upto? 2.It doesnt seem like the cooling fan is coming on, where should I look first to troubleshoot this?
Reply to
MARK