92 SL1 Battery draw in cold weather

I'm in Canada (Ottawa) and in the winter I'm having quite a bit of problems with the battery. The alternator is pretty new so this is not the problem. I had the battery checked few days ago and at the store they said that it was ok (but I still think it might be the cause). The battery goes completly flat in 5 days and after a cold weekend, it doesn't have enough power to start the car. I measured the draw and there is 10ma static draw. This is still less than other people reported. I looked more in details the source of the draw and 7ma comes from "Chimes". This doesn't sound normal to me and I think the chime/temporal module might be dead. Did anyone else experience something similar?

Thanks

Erik.

Reply to
Erik

How old is the battery? They do go bad but for some reason people tned not to replace them when problem arise. In a cold climate, peak performance is needed and it can loose it quicker in a cold climate. Sound like battery has reached the end of its survice life and in leaking current internally.

Reply to
SnoMan

Is that in 5 days with no driving done at all? Or maybe 5 days with only really short trips (like under a few miles total?) I'm thinking that your alternator isn't really charging it much if any.

A car battery has a capacity measured at around a hundred Amp-hours. It should be able to provide that 10mA for most of a year before it goes dead. (Self-discharge will be a much bigger factor.)

It's also possible that there's some much larger intermittent drain that you never catch in action.

Tim.

Reply to
shoppa

Actauly a 10ma load would deplete the battery in about about 6 to 8 month assuming no internal leakage in battery but all batteies leake at least a few ma's even when new so the time will likeys be less. I suspect that battery is near the end of its life and time and energy would be better spent replacing it rather than looking for gremlins.

Reply to
SnoMan