'92 SL2 column lock set info

I had the misfortune to have my car towed home for the first time ever. Not too bad I guess considering it is 11 years old now. My most reliable car ever, and it was the first car I owned to have towed!

The key was stuck in the ignition tumbler and wouldn't turn at all. I couldn't remove the key, I couldn't start the car, I was just plain stuck at the store!

Once I had the car towed home, I removed the lock cylinder assy thinking thats all I needed. With the cylinder removed, I still couldn't get the car to start with vise grips - the rod was froze. So then I removed the actual ignition switch ( 2 screws). I could start the car with the switch, but the rod connecting them together would not turn.

So up to Saturn parts I go and bought a new cylinder lock keyed to the old one, and a new ignition lock module. Both parts run almost $70. An hour later and some disgruntled words, the car was back on the road.

The module must be drilled out since the factory uses "shear bolts". You tighten shear bolts until the head literally shears off. I assume this is for thief protection. They can be a bear to remove with no head left on them. The book recommends removing the entire steering column, but I decided to get the right tools for the job instead of removing the whole damn column. Everything worked out in the end. The Saturn guys tells me he is seeing more and more of this part going bad (wearing out) as these cars are aging.

James1549

Reply to
James1549