'92 SL2 Smog Check - help / advice

I live in California and to register my car this year requires a smog check. I'm not really looking for "Marvel's Magic Smog Check Fix" to dump in the tank just before the check but I do want to give it the best chance of passing.

I use the highest octane gas with standard plugs for a '92 SL2 DOHC ( NGK BKR 5E SA-11 ). Would lower octane and longer reach plugs help ?

Any advice is appreciated. I've kept it in good shape; change the oil & filters 2-3 times as often as recommended and drive fairly sanely.

Thanks,

BillM

Reply to
bill

Lower octane will not help and will likely increase hydrocarbons because spark may be more retard with it at time. Several bottles of dry gas (Methyl Alchol) can help because it adds oxygen to fuel and can reduce emission levels during a check.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

You use the highest octane gas why? Does this saturn have a 11:1 compression ratio? Or are you covering up symptoms? If your car knocks/pings I suggest you try decarbonizing the engine and or doing a tune up following the factory specs.

Reply to
BläBlä

I use to have a 97 SW2. I only had 55,000 miles on it. I think I only did 1 tune-up on that car. Other than that single tune-up the only service I did to the engin was regular oil changes. I never had a problem passing the smog test. If you are nervous about passing you can have the car pre tested ( ie tested but the results are not sent into DMV). If by some chance your car doesn't pass the pre test you can get the problem fixed before getting the official test done.

Reply to
Casey Kerrigan

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Appreciate it.

BillM

Reply to
bill