'93 SC 2 engine rebuild???

Ok, my dad ad I finally decided that i'ts time to 'freshen up' my Saturn. well, with 220,000 on it, it is a bit worn. Still runs decent, but the power and mileage just aren't there.

We've got in the thing so far:

New converter (blown - didn't pass the test this year) New injectors (brought back pep+smoothness, but not mileage) New coolant temp sensor (*ding!* Up went the mileage! :) Cleaned throttle body (not sticky anymore) Cleaned EGR valve (Whoopie :P ) New PCV valve (well, the old one was suspect) New radiator (old one took a piss at work, after years of slow leak) New alternator (one and only!) New water pump (old one leaked)

Ok, so it's not really that great, but at the mileage, it's time for an overhaul - the body isa in great shape and it's still running nicely. and norust :)

So, we want to do the next big thing, i.e. pull the head and pan, and re-ring the sucker. I've studied the Chiltons, it looks decently easy, but hey, everything does in that book! Take off the side cover, pull off the valve cover, and unplug a few things and off the head goes. Oh yeah, pull the cam chains out :) The pan looks easy too.

My dad had a Chevy Vega when I was kid, and did all his own repair. Those who remember those cars realize that we've been down the rebuild route a few times before :)

We're looking now to pull the head, do the rings and con rod bearings, and check the general look of the insides. Maybe rebuild the head if anything looks bad on it, though the topside looks great - no excessive wear, no sludge, no scoring on the cams.

Any other 'must replace' parts in there? I'm guessing chain tensioners and or chain. Anyone acttually do this before and can point to any pitfalls or sugesstions?

Oh yes - I've been 1/2 thinking of just pulling the whole motor out and putting it on a stand. Anyone ever do this? Is it easy or should I forget it?

Thanks! :)

Reply to
Philip Nasadowski

You mean, you're thinking about actually NOT taking the engine out and trying to accomplish this task? You are planning on getting new pistons to go with your new rings, correct?

Reply to
BANDIT2941

The only reason we would ever take one out of the car is if the crank was coming out... Rerings can be done in the car . BUt he should have the block checked with that many miles anyway so it should come out.

Reply to
Blue87T

I would think it would be more of a pain to work on it in the car then just pulling it out. Besides, I wouldn't do a ring job without replacing the bearings while I'm at it.

Reply to
BANDIT2941