93 SL2 front wheels don't lock

I jacked up the front of my car and tried to remove a tire to change the water pump. Alas, neither front wheel locked, so I couldn't unscrew the wheel nuts. I had the emergency brake on and the manual trans was in reverse. Is there some trick to get them to lock? The only thing that happed to the car recently was that it got towed.

Reply to
Mephistopheles Jones

loosen the lugs b4 you raise the wheels off the ground. James

Reply to
James1549

This is normal. Wheels spin in opposite direction when in park with AT, so appear to "lock" while in that state with wheels on the ground. Make sure you loosen the lug nuts before jacking the vehicle, then remove them the rest of the way once off the ground.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman