'94 SL1, loud center console clicking then it died

I've never posted an intro here, so I hope it's not rude to suddenly post my problem. However, I'm lost as to what to think - so here goes!

This morning when I started my 1994 manual transmission SL1 I noticed the battery light was on. I kept driving, but noticed my wipers and automatic windows were moving very slowly. I pulled into a friend's work to have him look at it (without shutting it off), but left fairly soon afterwards. As soon as I began driving again the center console, underneath the emergency brake, began clicking loudly. I pulled over and turned around to head home. By then my car was cutting out and the dash lights were flickering on and off. I pulled over again just as the car died.

Now, when we turn the key to 'accessory' the dash lights come on like normal, but the car doesn't start. The center console ticking continued

- even with the car shut off - until my husband unhooked the wire clip underneath the plastic cover (under the e-brake).

Ok, I know that's a load of info. Where do we begin? Does this sound like an electrical problem? Who do I search for to repair something like this? FWIW, I recently had the battery and alternator tested and they were fine.

Ugh - thanks in advance. Tracy

Reply to
Forever_broke

Sounds to me like the alternator is bad and taking out the battery. You should have the electrical system checked and may end up replacing both. Good luck.

Reply to
Bob Shuman

my 93 automatic did the very same thing and it was the battery. it was clicking and did everything yours did. i took it to the local shop and he diagnosed it very quickly. i took the console apart and everything but i should have taken it in to begin with (not being a mechanic and all)!

Reply to
CURLEY

Yep, I think we're going to try replacing the alternator.

Reply to
Forever_broke

Have a auto parts store test the battery 1st.

Reply to
Mikus