'94 SL2 Windshield...

hey all...

I have a '94 SL2 I'm just trying to keep going for another year, but I have NYS inspection due 12/31... The car runs fine, and other than 2 new tires for the front, it should pass. The problem is I think they'll fail it on my windshield. I have 2 rust bubble spots where the roof and windshield meet, each located approximately over each front seat. about 3 months ago, 2 cracks in the windshield appeared and grew (about 12 inches log now) emanating directly from the rust spot. My thought is that the rust spots might have rusted enough, thereby allowing the roof to flex and stress crack the windshield in those spots.. (Does this sound right?) Has anyone else ever had something like this happen? The reason for asking is that I got a price on a windshield for $300 (seems expensive), but I don't want to drop it in if in a few months it'll just crack the new one. Can/has anyone ever fixed (welded or whatever) this before?

Like I said, it's a vital second car for us, but I can't afford 2 car payments. The other vehicle's payment is up in a year, so if I can nurse the SL2 through, I should be OK and will kiss it's bumper next December!

Thanks for any thoughts/ideas...

Scott

Reply to
Scott MacIntyre