94 SW2 Appears to go into low when at 70 mph

For a while now my 94 SW2 automatic transmission w/180k miles on the body and 90K on the engine & trans will rev high 3.5k to 4k at approximately 70mph. If I pull over it drops down as I slow down and will be OK for a while. If I stay at 55mph it doesn't happen. I know it is low gear because I simulated it when I put the car into low and it is identical. Also the check engine light comes on and then off. I am trying to schedule an appointment with the transmission shop but thought perhaps this has happened to other Saturn owners. I replaced the tired leaking valve tapping engine at 150k when the trans stopped going into reverse. I spoke with the trans shop and it could be a cheap fix or up to 5K in a rebuild. I will just get another trans at

6th Planet Auto in FL where I get all my used Saturn parts if it comes to that. This is my favorite car ever and I want to keep her. Thanks Linda

PS Which computer reader is a text (not lamp) readout for my 94 that anyone recommends?

Reply to
Linda

The trannies performance is linked to engine performance so if the engine is not performanic well and is taking a higher throttle setting the tranny wil downshift out of OD and shift to drive which yours appears to be doing. I would focus on engine performance and related sensors and not tranny at this time.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Agreed, but with one qualification: the OP does not mention having checked the transmission fluid level -- and since that's *very* simple, that should be the first step. And if it hasn't been done recently, I think I'd change the transmission fluid and filter too. It probably needs doing anyway, and it sure isn't going to hurt anything.

Reply to
Doug Miller