95 Saturn mysterious shut-downs

I just bought this car used. The owner said this event occurs (described below) & i have found the event to be true.

Problem event: Sometimes just traveling down the road, the car starts to sputter & then suddenly quits running. However, i can quickly restart the engine & all seems to be well. This same thing may happen 1, 2, or 3 times a day, or only once a week (or once every 2 weeks). It's a 95 Saturn SOHC 1.9 Engine, 5 speed Manual with air.

Opinions needed: What do you think the problem is?

S_H

Reply to
Semi Head

semi snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Semi Head) typed until their fingers bled, and came up with:

It could be several things. the 1st thing I'd check is all the battery & ground connections. The next thing I'd check would be to see if there are any trouble codes. in '95, you can do it with a paperclip. the 1st

2 tech atricles here will help you do that:

good luck, and let us know if you need more help.

Reply to
Kevin M. Keller

I have a similar problem on my 95 SW2. The dealer tells me that it is the EGR valve malfunctioning. I can turn everything off and get a good restart -- usually happens within 5 -10 minutes of initial startup for the day. (cold engine)

Reply to
Orval Fairbairn

I just bought this car used. The owner said this event occurs (described below) & i have found the event to be true. Problem event: Sometimes just traveling down the road, the car starts to sputter & then suddenly quits running. Opinions needed: What do you think the problem is?

1st resp It could be several things. the 1st thing I'd check is all the battery & ground connections. The next thing I'd check would be to see if there are any trouble codes. in '95, you can do it with a paperclip. the 1st 2 tech articles here will help you do that:

good luck, and let us know if you need more help.

2nd response:

From: snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (Orval=A0Fairbairn)

I have a similar problem on my 95 SW2. The dealer tells me that it is the EGR valve malfunctioning. I can turn everything off and get a good restart -- usually happens within 5 -10 minutes of initial startup for the day. (cold engine)

Thank you all for those ideas & suggestions, Hopefully some others might offer their thoughts too.

What kind of scanner tool do i need to buy? Cheap, i hope! LOL

Could it be a failing fuel pump? or a failing primary coil?

How would you go about diagnosing (method) this problem

S_H

Reply to
Semi Head

semi snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Semi Head) typed until their fingers bled, and came up with:

on a '95, you can use a paperclip. the links I posted before should show you how to do it.

Reply to
Kevin M. Keller

If you havent tripped codes you wont find much use for a scanner. If you=20 are setting codes you can try AutoZone if you have one in your region,=20 they read codes at no charge but like to upsell parts you dont need.=20 Fuel pump is likely. A fuel pressure guage cost about 30 dollars and is=20 a good tool to have.

Reply to
Blah Blah

In my case, my 98 SL SOHC manual was doing a similar thing when the crankshaft position sensor went out. It would start fine cold, but as soon as it got to normal running temp, it would die. It only happened intermittently at first, but eventually did it every time I would run it, within about ten minutes of starting.

I never got the service engine light. I guess it was because when it died, the computer shut off before it could be set. Not sure, but it is the only thing I can figure.

If you have a Chilton's or Hayne's and a multimeter, you can pull it out check the resistance on the sensor. But remember to heat it up and check it, too, because I have read of them only failing after heating.

Good luck.

Reply to
Richard

From: snipped-for-privacy@an.eml (Richard)

Thanks for the response! That's interesting.

BTW - Now my "service engine light" stays on when the car sputters & kills. Now it keeps dying when the car starts this sporadic failure. So now maybe i can get a code. Heck i don't think i can get to AutoZone for a free check-up (analyzed)!

What kind of scanner do i need (CHEAP)?

Any more comments suggestion will be welcomed. Email is OK too.

S_H semi snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net

Reply to
Semi Head

If you have a notebook/laptop, you might look at something link

to check your OBD II (VPW model for Saturn). You can order the same product from Digimoto off of eBay for a few dollars less. I did and it cost about the same as bringing the car to the nearest shop would (they want $70 to read codes up the street). There are quite a few different software apps currently available for free download, and a couple you can pay for, to read from it.

Here is an article abou the crankshaft sensor failing when hot

.

Reply to
Richard

Some other options:

to what you posted but it graphs. (not a very good website) This is what i use

blah blah

I forgot about this one

BTW something no one mentioned...THESE WORK ON OBD II CARS ONLY. I cannot recall if Saturn was OBD II compliant in 95 or not.

Reply to
blah blah