95 Saturn Temperature Guage

Just bought a 95 Saturn (113,000 KM) SL1, SOHC, (four days ago) and have done some routine maintenance on it that had been lagging by the previous owner (Oil Change, Rear Shoes, Muffler, PC Valve, Air Filter, that kind of stuff) I have noticed that the temperature gauge comes up to the first mark (1/4) and does not get any higher but there seems to be reasonable heat from the heater. Are these gauges accurate or after 9+ years would it be reasonable to change the thermostat.

Reply to
Ralph

My '95 SW2 (184k miles, DOHC) routinely runs at less than 1/4 of the temperature guage, with no apparent problems. I'd say don't worry about it.

Reply to
William Hughes

Ah, but when it starts to get cold out, the heat will not be enough. I had a problem and posted the solution last year, (several web sites pick up this group, a google search turned up my post:

Short answer is the weep hole in the thermostat housing has lost it's check valve. New thermostat housing solved the problem.

-David

Reply to
Sandra Ayres

This was my first post to the Group and really appreciate this good information that you guys come up with. My first mistake was going to be buying a thermostat (as you have now informed me) I will proceed with an examination of the thermostat housing (interior of housing) before buying anything more than a gasket if the ball bearing is still in place. I will post back to let you know what is found.

Ralph

My 95 has been like that since new. On a hot day in traffic it will go higher but will drop back to 1/4 when the fan kicks in.

Reply to
D V Brownell

I have a 98 SL, 113K that stays at 1/4 and stays warm enough in these Minnesota winters. My friend has a 98 SL2 with about 90K that is the same. I think it's normal.

Reply to
Richard

I have a 97 SW2, over 100,000 miles, and it normally runs just over 1/4. The only time it creeps above that is prolonged idling, such as "rush hour," and when that happens I'll turn the AC on (activating the fan), keeping it back down close to 1/4.

It did start approaching 1/2 consistently when I had a coolant leak (failing water pump). Fixing the problem returned the temp back to the normal 1/4 range.

I'm kind of glad it runs so cool, being a little aluminum engine & all. Our temps here are 70-90 F. Sounds to me like yours is normal.

Reply to
just another

First time poster here. I noticed 'just another's' comments about his SW2's temp gauge reaching the halfway mark when his water pump was bad. So this question is for him or anyone else who is kind enough to answer.

I bought a 2000 SW2 from a friend a year ago last August. He had taken exceptionally good care of the car and had it serviced before selling it to me. I drove the wagon from Miami to Bellingham, WA before backtracking to Montana. The temp gauge never went higher than a little past the quarter way mark. Then last spring here in Omaha, NE I noticed the temp gauge at the halfway mark and the car shut off twice oneday on my way home from work. After that the car never shut down again but has routinely reached the halfway point and I can tell the engine is 'heavy' like it wants to shut off. There is normally no coolant leakage but on the hotter days last summer there was a very small amount I'd see under the car after I stopped somewhere. And if I drive across town I might see a little leakage also.

I don't know alot about cars but speculated the thermostat or water pump might be bad. I've taken it in to the Saturn dealership twice now to have it checked out but both times I was told the cooling system was fine and that they couldn't tell me if the thermostat or water pump was bad. The last time I went in I had them change the thermostat anyways to see if that was the problem. It's obvious now it wasn't. So now I'm wondering if it could be the water pump, and if it is how come it doesn't leak alot more than it does. I rarely have to add any coolant to the holding tank, and when I do it's a very small amount.

Two other things that might help to know while considering my question are: 1) A few months before I had trouble with the temp gauge, a truck driving 2 places in front of me lost a tread from one of his tires. The car in front of me ran over it and it's wheels kicked the tread up into the air and it slammed into the shield under my bumper breaking it. I didn't know this at the time but part of the shield broke off and was lodged against one of the air intakes (I believe that's what it's called anyways). So I had the air intake replaced along with the shield. That could have affected something that is causing my problem now, OR something else could have been damaged by the truck tire that the mechanics are missing. 2) I don't know if the alternator could have anything to do with the problem, but I've noticed the dashboard lights get real dim (more so than I remember them getting a year ago), and the car doesn't seem like it's starting as fast as it should considering it has a new battery (replaced last spring).

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, JB

Reply to
J B

Forgot to mention - I have about 60,500 miles on the car.

Reply to
J B

The few drops of antifreeze under the vehicle could very well be a water pump that has started to leak. The mileage and symptoms you describe would seem to indict the water pump seal. You do not say if the radiator and block had been flushed and refilled previously. If it has not been done, its time so would make sense to replace the water pump at the same time. I'd have suggested a new thermostat as well, but you have already taken care of that ...

As to the gauge now reading at the half versus 1/4 point, this could be the result of reduced coolant flow from either radiator blockage or lower pressure from a worn pump. In either case a flush and pump replacement will resolve the problem. It also could be the result of a coolant temperature sensor starting to go bad so after replacing the pump if it is still higher than expected, replace the CTS as a last resort.

Good luck!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Thanks for the great advice Bob. I hadn't thought of the radiator and block flush but it makes sense. I was thinking mostly of the pump going bad or that truck tire damaging something underneath the car. But considering the radiator isn't leaking I kind of guessed it was the thermostat or water pump. With all of that driving in the Rocky mountains last year with a fully loaded wagon, the pump must have been working overtime. I'll see if a new pump does that trick. Thanks, JB

Reply to
J B