95 SL1 problem

I have a 95 SL1 with 146,000 miles on it. It usually runs good but every so often it goes into a fit where it starts to buck and looses power, idles low and rough and doesn't want to rev up. It throws the SES light on also. If I shut it off for a minute or so it's usually ok and the SES light goes out. I've only owned this car since x-mas so I don't have a long history with it. First time this happened was 4 months ago and only once. Recently though it's happened several times. I don't put many miles on this car, it sits mostly. It has new plugs and air filter. The fuel filter looks fairly new but I didn't change it myself. I don't have the money to take it to a dealer to see if theirs any codes stored. It's not OBDII so my code reader doesn't fit it.

I'm kind of thinking maybe fuel filter, but it's kind of expensive and I can't just throw parts at it until I hit the problem. Has anyone else had this sort of problem that could shed some insight my way ????

Thanks Brian

Reply to
Brian

often it goes into a

want to rev up. It

ok and the SES light

with it. First time

several times.

filter. The fuel

to take it to a

doesn't fit it.

Many auto parts stores will read the codes for you at no charge, or lend you a reader. You can also find OBD-I readers on eBay pretty cheap.

You can also read the codes yourself, without a scan tool. Connect a jumper wire across the A and B terminals of the data link port (under the drivers side dashboard near the kick panel). The SES light will flash to indicate the stored code(s).

+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+ | | | | | | B | A | | | +---+---+---+---+---+---+ | | | | | | | | | | +---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
Reply to
Doug Miller

Have the battery tested... I had the same symptoms with a battery that seemed fine, i.e., the car started with no problem, but the electronics thought otherwise. With a new battery all the problems ceased.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

often it goes into a

want to rev up. It

ok and the SES light

with it. First time

several times.

filter. The fuel

to take it to a

doesn't fit it.

can't just throw parts at

could shed some insight

we are having the exact same thing happening to our 96 we are going to change the fuel filter but I was on here to see if we need a special tool. it could be the fuel sensor or a vaccum line but we are starting with the FF 24 bucks, our SES light has been coming on for almost 7 years now and it does it usually after a fill-up

Reply to
kissydog

often it goes into a

doesn't want to rev up. It

usually ok and the SES light

history with it. First time

happened several times.

air filter. The fuel

money to take it to a

doesn't fit it.

can't just throw parts at

could shed some insight

Seven years??? GET THE CODES READ PEOPLE! Your 96 can be read for free at AUTOZONE. And hell you haven't replaced the fuel filter in 7 years either? Geez...

Reply to
BläBlä

often it goes into a

want to rev up. It

usually ok and the SES light

history with it. First time

several times.

filter. The fuel

money to take it to a

doesn't fit it.

can't just throw parts at

could shed some insight

Well, I unplugged the EGR valve and it runs good now. Hasn't missed a beat since I posted that message. Now my engine light is on though. Time to take the bulb out !!!!

Kill filters - The Enema Of The Usenet !!!!!

Reply to
Brian