95 sl2 auto trans broken

I have issues with my 95 automatic and had it checked out by a local mechanic that I trust.

I know he checked the valve body and and a couple other things and its clear the parts were actually checked because all the muck is gone and the threads are shiny

He says its fried and he guesses the clutch packs. It wont stay in 4th any more.

He gave me a price for putting in a used trans and for having the existing one rebuilt for $1700

The care has 210,000 on it and he recommends just getting something else

I have called a couple junk yards in my area and I can get a used trans from a 98 for $600 and the car has 77,000 on it

A quick flip thru my hanes manual shows having to take the engine and trans out together, i thought that was odd

Has anyone changed one of these ? I have a garage, tools, and some experienced help if I need it. Its been a while since I did a job that big. Any known issues with putting a 98 trans in a 95 ?

Anyone have a reccomendation ?

thanks, DaveV

Reply to
Dave V

Blown seal or clutch pack. Either way, it's toast.

Ick.

Is everything else ok? 210,000 isn't bad for an automagic tranny. Of course, if the rest of the car's fine, then it might make sense to keep it. but if it's gotother problems, it might be better to replace.

Yow. I'd shop some more. Realize used might = used up. Of course, you could always buy one, rebuild it, and install it yourself. Automatics aren't hard to do, but they have to be SPOTLESS and the clearences set just right, plus a new torque converter.

Where are you located, anyway? If you're anywhere near Binghampton, NY, i know a place where you can get a just about any car tranny (within reason!) for about $80. (!)

Not really - that's how it went in.

Nope. I've done RWD cars, but no FWD.

They might have changed it in '96 due to OBDII. I don't know.

If the car's good, you might want to try it. If there's other problems, stick a fork in it. If you change trannies, remember to flush flush flush the cooler out really good.

Reply to
Philip Nasadowski