96 Saturn -- How Do You Disable Runaway Chime?

It blasts my ears. I know where the damn thing is -- it's behind the front cover on the driver's side console. But I understand that if it is removed, some necessary functions will be lost. All I want rid of is the constant noise, which is to warn that the headlights are on when the key has been removed, when the headlights are NOT on.

I also understand that the glitch is due to wear and tear on the ignition switch, but that's too damn expensive to replace.

There ought to be a way to disable the chime without disabling the other functions of the unit. Maybe just by clipping one of the wires or snipping something?

Haaaaaalp!

Reply to
jl

Not 100% positive but on most GM vehicles you will have to spelunk under the driver's side dash and there should be a plug-in piezo buzzer. Thats what makes the chime. You should be able to remove it safely. I would not be cutting any wires unless you know exactly what you are doing. Look also as I replied in the other post you posted, behind the drivers side center panel. It removes with velcro.

Reply to
marx404

Also, I am not aware of any other functions that are dependent on the piezo door buzzer.

Reply to
marx404